Muntons Gold Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astralbrew

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted... been busy with stuff and a few brews.
This one I had to give a special mention, the Imperial stout in the Muntons Gold 3 KG range.
What a disaster !!! first time I have ever had gushers...
I added a sachet of Brewferm chocolate sensation liquid, as instructed...
Brew was clean, fermentation was groovy, addition of slightly weird smelling choco sensation seemed ok, left it in total 4 weeks (2 primary, 2 secondary with addition)
Bottling was standard, first test after 2 weeks, nae so bad !
after 3 weeks, getting lively..... now it is like an IBIZA foam party, without the bikinis and whoop whoops !..
Darn it.
Tastes ok when you get to the dead dregs in the jug..
Can't see the science here.. what has happened ?
Only variable was local temperatures shot up about a week after bottling, but in my basement it is never very warm...
anyone ?

When did you brew it?

Infections are often hard to pin down, but are much more likely to happen this time of year. That's why many of us stop brewing June-Sept.

I've had multiple infections causing gushers and bottle bombs, never been able to work out what caused them, the only common factor was summer brewing. Make sure you thoroughly clean all your kit with a bleach solution, if you do have an infection it could persist and spread: mine ended up in 2 x FV and a pressure barrel.

Brewed on 12 May, but we really did have a hot time of it just after, hit mid 30's centigrade for 3 weeks..
could be an infection, but all looked good and smelled fine at bottling..

Brewed on 12 May, but we really did have a hot time of it just after, hit mid 30's centigrade for 3 weeks..
could be an infection, but all looked good and smelled fine at bottling..

It would have smelled fine at bottling, infections generally take a while to take hold, at least 8-10 weeks in my experience.

If you're keeping those bottles, be careful - if it's an infection it might keep on fermenting and generating CO2 until the bottles explode.

Back