Muntons Irish Stout Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SE10PAT

Reaction score
I dont have any proper brewing notes on this one, however I do know that I added a kilo bag of extra dark spraymalt to the brew.

The Stout tastes great, a very silky liqourice feel to it and it doesnt have the bitter aftertaste that a pint of the famous black stuff can sometimes leave you with. I previously brewed another stout without adding the extra spraymalt and it was a lot thinner. The spraymalt really adds extra body to the brew. If I remember correctly the bottles and kegged were primed with granulated sugar. I think I put 10 litres in the keg and the rest in glass bottles to be stored for when I watch the Cheltenham Festival in March.

This brew even got the thumbs up from my visiting Irish Mother In Law who kept nipping to the keg in the shed to refill her glass!

**TIP** If you are brewing a stout, make sure you put a plastic tray or some towels under the fermentation bin. As you can see below they tend to be a bit voilatile so the last thing you need is a nasty stain over the new spare room carpet!

It was a bit volcanic when brewed!
5mloh4_th.jpg

But tasted great with the sunday's in the autumn sunshine
23uenly.jpg

that pint looks awesome! its making me thirsty,(if i wasnt a lazy bar steward) and if my coopers irish stout wasnt out in the shed then I would go and get one this minute"

abeyptfc said:
that pint looks awesome! its making me thirsty,(if i wasnt a lazy bar steward) and if my coopers irish stout wasnt out in the shed then I would go and get one this minute"

Pat gave me a couple of bottles of this and its was lovely :party: :cheers:

Have you tried the edme kit, if so how does this compre?

I still have about half a corny of edme stout left , which is very very nice, is make another one in a shot. However after reading this I wonder if its worth a go myself

BrewDan said:
Have you tried the edme kit, if so how does this compre?

I still have about half a corny of edme stout left , which is very very nice, is make another one in a shot. However after reading this I wonder if its worth a go myself

Just make them both ;) :thumb: Can never have enough brew :drink:

Even if i am now a ag -biab brewer, this kit was one of the best beers i ever had!!!
i used a kilo of black dme and 300grs of treacle. the yeast was s-04!! let at secondary for 3 weeks!! after four months, when i finished the last pints, they were lovely, perfect!!

Latest posts

Back