Muntons Tap Room Series

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the Radler recently and I'm a bit disappointed. Having tried Radler "abroad" I was quite excited when I saw this. However this does not quite hot the mark.

Yes it's only 2% but that's what I expected and what the tin says. I was expecting a positive lemon got, there's almost nothing, a vague hint. Having said that, when it's almost frozen it is quite refreshing, but I don't think I'll be getting another one.
Doesn’t bode well for mine then ! To make matters worse I have another tin to do 🥴

Doesn’t bode well for mine then ! To make matters worse I have another tin to do 🥴
Maybe it's just me? I was expecting this light refreshing lemony drink, it was just light and refreshing, with a vague hint of something that was possibly citrus.

Still drinking it, it's quite acceptable when it's very chilled and some cordial added. Plus at 2% you can get through a couple a and still get out of your deck chair!

Maybe it's just me? I was expecting this light refreshing lemony drink, it was just light and refreshing, with a vague hint of something that was possibly citrus.

Still drinking it, it's quite acceptable when it's very chilled and some cordial added. Plus at 2% you can get through a couple a and still get out of your deck chair!
Is it value for your money?

Is it value for your money?
I'd have to say no in my opinion. Am I drinking it, yes. Am I enjoying it, well it drinkable and I've made it. Will I make a repeat purchase, not until it gets nearer a Radler. It's not an unpleasant drink, but I guess you could make something similar with an ordinary kit/can of lager and not add any extra sugar?

I've tried adding squash and cordial to see if it gets nearer my recollection and the cordial helps, although I haven't found the magic ratio yet.

If I had another tin lying around I'd be tempted to add the zest from a couple of lemons, maybe a handfull of lemons.

As it's only 2% and when served cold it is refreshing, but it's just a lower alcohol lager really.
That’s exactly my thinking too
There was a strong lemon aroma and taste right through the fermentation process right up until it was bottled when it faded away into something vaguely citrusy!
Did you cold crash yours? I’m thinking this might have caused the lemon flavouring to drop out. Just realised as posting this I used Brausol finings too 🥴 so this might account for loss of flavour !

That’s exactly my thinking too
There was a strong lemon aroma and taste right through the fermentation process right up until it was bottled when it faded away into something vaguely citrusy!
Did you cold crash yours? I’m thinking this might have caused the lemon flavouring to drop out. Just realised as posting this I used Brausol finings too 🥴 so this might account for loss of flavour !
I'm a simple brewer, buckets and then into bottles, so no cold crash. I felt the same, opening the can I was very pleased, fermentation and bottling the same.

However, on opening the bottles there was just a lager smell, with a vague something. I bottled with 1 fermentation drop per bottle, left warm for nearly 2 weeks, moved to cold room for 2 weeks and then left for another 2 weeks.

That was about 2 weeks ago and I've been drinking them for about 2 weeks, still got 26 bottles left and in this weather always keep 2 in the fridge.

Lowcostbeer are selling 5l mini kegs of ABK Helles for £15. Lemonade is £1 in Aldi. I can't see how you can brew Radler, surely you brew a Helles, or even better a HefeWeizen and water it down with cloudy lemonade?

I tried the Hazy Days tropical IPA a couple of months ago and it tasted synthetic, that's the only way I can describe it, more than a pint was unpleasant, I ended up ditching half of the brew, not for me but I only fermenter on the kitchen worktop, I've upgraded recently to a fermenting chamber so it could have been down to a poor brew.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Partridge Brothers are reviewing a couple of these on their YouTube channel - the Lazy Days IPA and the Coffee Porter. Should land in a couple of weeks time.

Well after getting to the bottom of the Corny Keg I really hope they make the TRS Higher Ground again.

If Muntons did a 2 tin kit of this it would rival Youngs American Mocha Porter in my opinion.

Great for a kit and Kilo, coffee notes throughout.

Attachments

• 20220929_173530.jpg
    20220929_173530.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
Back