Murkey IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb982

Reaction score
Hi All,

Bit of a newby here. I have made an IPA from one of Ritchie's festival beer range. It tastes great! But the first half of the 500ml bottle is lovely and clear, while the second pour is murkey and muddy. They have been sitting in the bottle for 2 weeks. Do I need to let them sit longer?

Thanks!

Ross

This will indeed get better after staying longer, but the real culprit is pouring twice. While you are drinking, the gas escaping from the beer will toss around the yeast on the bottom.

I always supposed, because UK homebrewers use 0,5l bottles, that they poured them out in real pint glasses. If you can pour out most of your beer first time, then you can get most of your beer clear out of the bottle, or at most a bit hazy, but not murky.

Leaving them longer may help the yeast pack down, but you still have to pour carefully to not disturb the yeast.

Sounds like you are stirring up the yeast whilst pouring. Practice pouring slowly and smoothly, and stop when you see the beer coming out cloudy. You should be able to get most of a bottle before the yeast starts coming out.

Or start kegging and you won't have to worry about sediment!

Don't pour twice from the same bottle.
Don't keep tipping the bottle, then checking to see how much is left.

Pouring homebrew does take a bit of practice if you are not used to it. Pour from the bottle in one go, in one continuous slow pour and stop when you see the white yeast tendrils show in the bottle neck. If your glass isn't big enough, then pour into a jug and then keep topping up your glass.

I bottle most of my beer into 500ml bottles and can pour most out into a pint glass depending on yeast used. With practice and yeast that packs well, I can leave just a thin layer at the bottom of the bottle. I bottle some in 1 litre and 1.25 litre cola bottles. I pour these into a jug I bought at Wilko and drink from whichever glass I feel like at the time.

It also depends of the yeast used and how you bottle. Some yeasts pack down well very quickly, some take a few months (if your beer lasts that long!). When I bottle, I also aim to transfer as little trub as possible. I put a mesh bag (like the ones in the Festival kit) over the end of my siphon tube. I siphon from the fv into a bottling bucket to batch prime and then use another siphon tube and bag to siphon into the bottle.

That's great, thanks everyone for the tips! Will work on my pouring. I use a mesh bag for syphoning from bin to bottling bin but will also use one to bottle now. Next step.... kegging!

Back