Mushroom / coffee / chocolate stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I fancy doing an experiment with a stout.
I have enough grains left for a single 16l brew made up of MO and munich dark and a whole bunch of chocolate malt and black patent. I've done a few before, variously adding lots of oats or doing it 'straight up' and so far I've been pretty happy. But I think with the huge flavour profile, it's got the scope to carry some additional flavour

After much reading I fancy doing a 4 way experiment.
16l brew and let the first primary fermentation do its thing for 5 days, then transfer the brew to 4 demijohns for secondary fermentation and finish off for 2 weeks. But when transferring to the DJs, I'll add the following......

Dj 1) add 10gm finest columbian ground coffee to 250ml water to make a nice drinkable coffee. Then bung it in with 4l of beer
Dj 2) add 15gm cocoa powder or nibs to some boiled and cooled water , then dump it in with 4l of beer
Dj 3) soak 15gm porchini dried mushrooms in 250ml boiling water to make an earthy umami tea, let it cool then dump it in with 4l beer
Dj 4) control sample of 4l of beer

I am fascinated by the mushroom stout, umami is a great 5th flavour profile we all strive for in food, so why not in a big hearty stout. The coffee and chocolate versions have been done a million times, but a first for me.
Will be interesting to have a stout tasting night and have one of each to see the difference

Anyone else tried a stout with mushrooms?

Latest posts

Back