Music

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quite surprised to hear one single mention of bowie....legendary imo, another hero of mine, seen him numerous times
When I was about 16 I had a ticket to see Bowie with my mate. His sister really wanted to go, so because I fancied her I let her have my ticket. It didn't do me any good, she turned out to be gay.

When I was about 16 I had a ticket to see Bowie with my mate. His sister really wanted to go, so because I fancied her I let her have my ticket. It didn't do me any good, she turned out to be gay.

Very annoying! Gutted I missed out on the opportunity to see him too. Didn’t appreciate how good he was until it was too late.

Some good bands mentioned here.
Like most of you I have some eclectic tastes, though not well musically educated - i.e. I could do with broadening my Spotify.

No particular order, depending on mood, there are some that were from back in the day that I still listen to and others that press buttons that are more recent:
  • Stone roses ( just something about them. Used to listen to all their albums with a bottle of rum and coke)
  • AC/DC ( inherited from my uncle)
  • Metallica ( from back in school, but they keep getting better and better more I listen)
  • Runrig ( Courtesy of a colleague. Celtic spirit )
  • Thin Lizzy ( Dedication got me started. My latest Saison is named after one of their tracks - Out in the Fields)
  • Dire Straits ( I'm a Geordie and child of the 70s/80s)
  • The Walkmen ( a recent addition, because of The Rat)
  • Queen ( listened to them doing my paper round )
  • Radiohead ( soundtrack of the 90's )
  • Deep Purple ( ground breaking )
  • Brian Eno (also ground breaking)
  • Ocean Colour Scene ( late 90's good times )
Been going back to Marillion too recently.

Do you mean Thin Lizzy's version? That wasn't original. It is a traditional Irish song that is a couple of hundred years old but became well known in the 60s when the Dubliners recorded it.
I heard a story, maybe apocryphal, that when Thin Lizzy visited London to audition for a record contract, they played a number of covers, but were then asked to play one of their original numbers. Phil suggested they do Whiskey in the Jar, as nobody English would have ever heard it. The rest as they say is history.

Santana, Macy Grey,The Doors, Ska, reggae,House,Jazz, Early rap and hip hop and just about everything else except folk.

Today’s run on Spotify included Opeth, Bootsy Collins and the Alex Skolnik Trio in consecutive songs. The daily playlist algorithm has a lot to cope with given my wide and varied listening habits.

Deep Purple (Made in Japan and in Rock era)
Black Sabbath ( early Oz years)
Budgie (if you have not heard of them you need to check them out, the 70's stuff with Tony Bourge on Guitar not later)
Frank Zappa - musical genius
Fruupp
Genesis (The Peter Gabriel era)
Caravan ( In the land of Grey and Pink)
Camel (The snowgoose)
Hawkwind
Mountain
Ten Years After
Soft Machine
Robert Wyatt
Gong
Tangerine Dream