Music

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Folk and Blues.
SWMBO'd and I like all the earlier rocky stuff mentioned, mainly because we are too.
I haven't studied the entire thread, but I haven't noticed the genre above that we have enjoyed since the 70's.
Not too keen on the repetitive 'diddly diddly' sort, but have recently discovered and enjoyed an unlikely 'left field' Americana musician Sam Outlaw.
The irreverent 'Jesus take the wheel' is musically satisfying whilst being hilarious.
He has said he can't go to Nashville, or he would be lynched.
I hadn’t heard of him before but Wikipedia suggests he might be right up my street.

Anyone put in a mention for Alice Cooper or his Devil-spawn Marilyn Manson? Definitely worth listening to.
I used to really like MM when I was a teenager. Listened to his new album when it came out last year and it was alright - he’s been outed as a bit of sleazy scumbag recently though and I do have a bit of a problem separating art from the artist.

Suffice it to say at 31 I am in the younger end of the spectrum for home brewers if the survey is accurate with the majority being 55+ and I do’t think its inaccurate to say that the music we listen to in our teens and early twenties has a pretty big impact on our tastes.

Its not universal of course and their are always exceptions but I suspect that explains the dominance of 70s music.

This certainly is true. I can remember as a child banging on to my parents about the Beatles and the Stones, and they were still all about Glenn Miller! Well his was the music when they were young. And the likes of Led Zeppelin were longer ago now than Glenn Miller was back in the 60s!

I've never been a big 'rock' fan, other than the Stones, and certainly not a fan of metal in its many guises. But every decade brings something new, and there's always something new to hear. Every now and then I'd hear a record and think, that is really something special. In the 70s there was Horses by Patti Smith, in the 90s Pulp's Different Class and Blue Lines by Massive Attack. In the Noughties, A Piece of Strange and Dirty Acres by the Cunninlynguists (quite simply the best hip-hop band ever! It's criminal that they are relatively unknown). More recently, the torch-songs of the very talented Dessa, and the wonderful guitar playing of Molly Tuttle.

the wonderful guitar playing of Molly Tuttle.

I’m a fan of Molly Tuttle - her lockdown covers album was a cracker as well, I loved her take on Rancid’s “Olympia WA” (even if the male backing vocals were unnecessary).

I hadn’t heard of him before but Wikipedia suggests he might be right up my street.

I used to really like MM when I was a teenager. Listened to his new album when it came out last year and it was alright - he’s been outed as a bit of sleazy scumbag recently though and I do have a bit of a problem separating art from the artist.
Oh dear, shame about that.
I am only familiar with MM's earlier work, I can only hope he wasn't such a sleazy scumbag then so I too can still listen to and appreciate that work.
If not, I'm with you in having difficulty separating the two.
Much like my refusal to listen if anything is broadcast that is conducted by Herbert von Karajan who was a genius conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, but also a full-on Nazi.

Some of my favourite bands were:

Blur
Pulp
Pixies
Breeders
Sonic Youth
Rage Against the Machine
Fugazi
REM
Jane’s Addiction
Frank Black
The Smiths
David Bowie
The Strokes
Arcade Fire
Artic Monkeys
Faith no more

still listen to this genre of Music. I’m 46 for another month.

Nice list damienair. Sonic Youth are one of those bands that, while I listened to a lot of their contemparies, I didn't really appreciate at the time and didn't get into them until much later.
Cheers. I was lucky enough to see them live. They were supporting Faith no more at a live gig back around 1992 or 1993. What a line up! Forgot to also add Interpol to that list. And loads more. I was lucky enough to see a lot of those bands play live, I’m a grumpy middle aged man now, not sure I could do the whole live gig thing anymore. A sea of mobile phones in front of my face would push me off the edge.😀

Latest posts

Back