Music

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60s and 70s rock and prog rock for me. Jimi Hendrix, Santana, Pink Floyd, King Crimson and so on, you get the drift. There are more up to date individual songs that I quite like too. But don’t come near me with Country and Western or rap.

I'm really into rock, metal, prog etc. Currently loving stoner and doom metal; listening to bands like Weedeater, Big Business, melvins, Helms Alee, but also going through a phase of listening to some of my favourite teenage bands like the Offspring, System ofa Down, RATM.

I'm a fan of Black Sabbath, and would argue they are the second most important band in Western music after the Beatles. Love or hate them, they are a huge influence on pretty much every rock band that came after them, and invented the gigantic genre of metal.

I’ve got tickets for their tour in November. It’ll be nearly 21 years since I last saw them by then - that makes me feel old!
I wanted to get tickets to that tour but my friends aren't such fans and those that are don't wanna rush into anything, a lot of plans up in the air, could be cancelled etc.

Born in '62 with older brothers who were in to Led Zep, Hendrix, Jethro Tull Moody Blues, Pink Floyd & Yes, still listening to them now.

In my 6th form days discovered Rush & Blue Oyster Cult , saw them both in '81 and probably say Rush are my all time greats.

Also picked up some 'newer' stuff via my youngest - now in his late 20's. Obvioulsy I initially indoctrinated him with my choices, but he's now passing a lot on to me, we typically would be going to 10-20 gigs a year.

Most of my go to list would be groups we seen live and mainly guitar based Rock bands / artists of various types inlcluding;
Fatherson
Biffy Clyro
Mogwai
Jimmy Eat World
Bob Mould
Coheed & Cambria
Billy Talent
Death Cab for Cutie
Placebo
Foo Fighters
ZZ Top
QOTSA
Devin Townsend
Alter Bridge & associated spin offs Myles Kennedy & Tremonti solo work
From holidays in France and some French TV shows got into Louis Bertignac - almost unknown in the UK, and recently got into couple of French prog Rock bands Klone & Gojira

But also got a bunch of people like Chris Wood, Martin Simpson, Andy McKee, John Gomm, Nik Kershaw (his post fame years stuff is quite different), Justin Currie who are still guitar based but probably more folky / acoustic edged.

Horrifying thing is realising that a lot of my 'new' young bands are now made up of 40+ year olds who have been around for 20 years or more.

Been reading through some of these lists with a sense of nostalgia. Amazing just how many of those mentioned are 60's and 70's bands. Agreed with many of your choices, including whoever said they disliked rap. Rather than type out an exhaustive list, I thought I would just include a few of my favourite bands that haven't had a mention.

Creedence Clearwater Revival
ELO
Steely Dan
Marillion (early stuff)
Stereophonics (had to include one recent one, great live band)

I wanted to get tickets to that tour but my friends aren't such fans and those that are don't wanna rush into anything, a lot of plans up in the air, could be cancelled etc.
One of my mates organised it all. I think he was expecting it to just be me and him, then it became 4, then the other 2’s partners wanted to come, then my wife wanted to come, then a few more got added and not we’ve ended up with a group of 12 going.

The National.
Elbow.
Frank Turner.
Fleet Foxes.
Miles Davis.
The Weakerthans.
QOTSA.
Elliott Smith.
Nick Drake.
Joni Mitchell.
Andy Shauf.
Counting Crows.
Anathema.
The Cure.
Frank Sinatra.
Doves.
Gaz Coombes.
Talk Talk.
Puressence.
Amy.
Lord Huron.
Ed Harcourt.
Sweet Billy Pilgrim.
Nick Cave.
Manchester Orchestra.

And many more!

Hendrix Cream Floyd Santana ELP Clapton Jeff Beck The Who Eagles Robin Trower with Jack Bruce. Never saw Hendrix but was at Cream"s 1968 farewell concert which was good but not as good a performance as Santana whom I saw at Colston Hall Bristol which was incredible. My longest enduring favourites are the Everley brothers who to me sound just as good as they did in 1959 and they paved the way for many who came later.

some of you have made my shitlist for disparaging the mighty floyd.

(just kidding)

but i must have seen six or seven different pink floyd tribute bands. aussie floyd win hands-down (but their tickets cost more than a lot of 'real' bands).

alongside the floyd i also really dig sigur rós and pavement. as a relative youngster born in the mid-80s i only got the see the latter once, but i've been to many rós gigs across the world. very much looking forward to going to concerts again!

some of you have made my shitlist for disparaging the mighty floyd.

(just kidding)

but i must have seen six or seven different pink floyd tribute bands. aussie floyd win hands-down (but their tickets cost more than a lot of 'real' bands).

alongside the floyd i also really dig sigur rós and pavement. as a relative youngster born in the mid-80s i only got the see the latter once, but i've been to many rós gigs across the world. very much looking forward to going to concerts again!
We have tickets to see Aussie Floyd at Llandudno in November so good to hear what you say about them. Just hope it's not cancelled!

Frank Turner.
I ignored several people for a good few years who told me I would like Frank Turner. Finally started listening to him late last year, partly thanks to the split record with NOFX and partly because of the work he was doing for the Music Venue Trust over lockdown.

It was a proper “WTF haven’t I listened to him before” moment from just about the second a pressed play on “Campfire Punk Rock” and now I’m a little obsessed with him. According to my Apple Replay analytics (Apple Music Replay is here.) I’ve listened to 23hrs of Frank in 2021 alone, and “Sleep is for the Week” is my most listened to album.

i got into frank turner not from his music, but from his stage banter. i was idling past his set on the other stage at glastonbury, and he really grabbed me. i think i like his music largely because he is a genuine, decent and funny guy.

also swmbo is a massive fan so i'm forced to listen to him quite a bit...

didn't know he did a split with nofx, i'll have to check it out.

Latest posts

Back