Music

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any fans of the more modern rock bands, or all we all preferring the 70's kind of stuff?
I suspect part of the reason why bands from the 70s dominate here is the general demographics of home brewers YouGov for reasons unknown had a survey on the subject

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/food/articles-reports/2018/07/31/what-makes-home-brewer-tick
Suffice it to say at 31 I am in the younger end of the spectrum for home brewers if the survey is accurate with the majority being 55+ and I do’t think its inaccurate to say that the music we listen to in our teens and early twenties has a pretty big impact on our tastes.

Its not universal of course and their are always exceptions but I suspect that explains the dominance of 70s music.

didn't know he did a split with nofx, i'll have to check it out.
They cover each other’s songs. Frank’s version of “Perfect Government” and NOFX’s version of “Substitute” are the highlights for me.

The age bit is undoubtedly correct but perhaps only part of the explanation. I suspect that in general people who do home brew prefer music by people who actually play instruments as opposed to some (notice I said some) of the more recent over-computerised stuff.

One of my mates organised it all. I think he was expecting it to just be me and him, then it became 4, then the other 2’s partners wanted to come, then my wife wanted to come, then a few more got added and not we’ve ended up with a group of 12 going.
:laugh8: sounds like it will be a fun night out! Have a good time.

I really like Drenge's first album. Bloodsports is great, Nothing is one of my favourite songs. That whole album is pretty solid from start to end. Second album was like a different band, and everything since has been kind of dull.

I really like Drenge's first album. Bloodsports is great, Nothing is one of my favourite songs. That whole album is pretty solid from start to end. Second album was like a different band, and everything since has been kind of dull.

I only have a few songs from the first album on CD i haven't heard any of their later stuff looks like i dodged a bullet there.

Are there any fans of the more modern rock bands,
Not me, these days music is more of an irritant than a pleasure. When I dip in it's through nostalgia, good times, good people and the music by association. Listening to Be-Bop Deluxe at present, a good reminder of those good people in good times.

Folk and Blues.
SWMBO'd and I like all the earlier rocky stuff mentioned, mainly because we are too.
I haven't studied the entire thread, but I haven't noticed the genre above that we have enjoyed since the 70's.
Not too keen on the repetitive 'diddly diddly' sort, but have recently discovered and enjoyed an unlikely 'left field' Americana musician Sam Outlaw.
The irreverent 'Jesus take the wheel' is musically satisfying whilst being hilarious.
He has said he can't go to Nashville, or he would be lynched.

Well all you dad rock are really going to disapprove of me and my boom boom music. I am a product of the 90s. I am in to electronic dance music. I have a set of turntables in my brewery infact!!! I like house , funk , tec trance and drum and base. We used to do alot of pubs and party's and was on the radio a bit . I still buy records as im retro but by christ they are expensive.

Well all you dad rock are really going to disapprove of me and my boom boom music. I am a product of the 90s. I am in to electronic dance music. I have a set of turntables in my brewery infact!!! I like house , funk , tec trance and drum and base. We used to do alot of pubs and party's and was on the radio a bit . I still buy records as im retro but by christ they are expensive.
The wonderful thing about music (and home brewing) is there is room for all tastes. Some of each variety can be good and eye-opening, whilst some others leave much to be desired.
However, trying to have a good ol' sing along to Acid House is a trifle problematic, whereas something simple like 'All I want to do is have some fun' is easier to do.
There is a time and place for different music styles, and I would suggest tentatively that Sunday midmorning with a coffee and doughnut isn't really the best suited to house , funk , tec trance and drum and base.
Whereas playing 'Feeling Groovy' by Simon and Garfunkel would be, but similarly completely out of place in a heaving Drum and base club basement on Friday at midnight.

I only have a few songs from the first album on CD i haven't heard any of their later stuff looks like i dodged a bullet there.
Those songs you've shared are great, I'd recommend listening to that first album which they're from if you can. From the second album this song is worth listening to, otherwise you're not really missing much.

I ignored several people for a good few years who told me I would like Frank Turner. Finally started listening to him late last year, partly thanks to the split record with NOFX and partly because of the work he was doing for the Music Venue Trust over lockdown.

It was a proper “WTF haven’t I listened to him before” moment from just about the second a pressed play on “Campfire Punk Rock” and now I’m a little obsessed with him. According to my Apple Replay analytics (Apple Music Replay is here.) I’ve listened to 23hrs of Frank in 2021 alone, and “Sleep is for the Week” is my most listened to album.

i got into frank turner not from his music, but from his stage banter. i was idling past his set on the other stage at glastonbury, and he really grabbed me. i think i like his music largely because he is a genuine, decent and funny guy.

also swmbo is a massive fan so i'm forced to listen to him quite a bit...

didn't know he did a split with nofx, i'll have to check it out.

I first went to see Frank at Glastonbury in 2010. It was the middle of the afternoon on the Friday and hundreds of people were packed into a marquee on a very hot day. It was brilliant. I’ve since seen him more times than I can count, mainly in London. I actually met him at the Cambridge Folk Festival one year - he’s a really nice guy. He’s one of those rare artists who are better live than on record and the energy he puts into every show is amazing. It’s a guaranteed brilliant night out and as soon as he tours again, I’ll grab some tickets. Love Ire & Song is probably my favourite Frank album.

I first went to see Frank at Glastonbury in 2010. It was the middle of the afternoon on the Friday and hundreds of people were packed into a marquee on a very hot day. It was brilliant. I actually met him at the Cambridge Folk Festival one year - he’s a really nice guy. He’s one of those rare artists who are better live than on record and the energy he puts into every show is amazing. It’s a guaranteed brilliant night out and as soon as he tours again, I’ll grab some tickets. Love Ire & Song is probably my favourite Frank album.

Cambridge Folk Festival, now that's (one) of our kind of place, got the T-shirts back to 17th I think.

And of course the beer tent jug glasses!
One of the strongest attractions, the beer tent.

Can't say I know of Frank Turner, seems he deserves checking out.
Thanks.

Are there any fans of the more modern rock bands, or are we all preferring the 70's kind of stuff?
I like rock but I think rock was at its peak around the 80s Rainbow Sabbath to name just 2. The only ones I can listen to are any that started about that time and are still going. May be cos I'm in my 50s I think that. Gaslight Anthem were a exception but they've gone now.

Back