My 30p airlock

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bquiggerz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to show off the airlock I've made from junk around my house.

First off I had to gather my supplies,

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429013927807.jpg

Here I have a toothpick container, a solder holder, and a pen.

The toothpick container broke as I tried to drill a hole.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429014017497.jpg

So I went in search of a new outer body which I found a very small Tupperware tub. It was flexible enough to drill a hole into it.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429014134869.jpg

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429014180325.jpg

Next I inserted the body of the pen and sealed it with super glue.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429014272364.jpg

Then I cut the solder holder tube down to size with a saw.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429014425389.jpg

And the finished product.

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1429014470073.jpg

Let me know what you all think [emoji2]

luv the ingenuity, 10/10.. ;)

with beer an airlock isnt really needed like with a wine which ferments longer and slower, but saying that the reassuring glug of the airlock reminding you the yeasts are busy at work for you is a reassuring sound in the background..

the wine airlocks used by many beer brewers (myself included) can be a bit small and get overwhelmed with a busy beer fermentation and quickly get blown dry so many use a simple blow off tube, (length of tube one end in the FV lid/bung, the other in a bottle 1/2 filled with water)..

Whats next on the build list? ;) a lot of us, myself included get just as much fun from building and pottering with the brewkit as we have with the brewing and sampling of the results..

I like that, simple repurposing of everyday items. It's got the whole scrap heap challenge meets homebrew thing going on there.

Thanks spud and i wouldn't have used it if I had anything else, its only to seal the pen to the body so it's not ever going to be in contact with the must/wine

Like the big airlock :thumb:

I have found the WineBuddy Sav Blanc kits ferment so vigorously they empty my wilko handy airlocks within a day, i ended up making a blow off tube (as discussed by Fil above) out of an old airlock and some tube, your large airlock would have done the job well.

Yeah just as an update the first bubble has just gone through the airlock, so IT WORKS! I'm quite happy and with have to hunt for more junk... I mean supplies to make one or two more

Latest posts

Back