My absence,my illness,my battle for life

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 52 and having been reading up on the matter of late, I'm slowly but surely convincing myself that I have a problem with the ol' prostate gland. Do I pester the doc to investigate cos the media keeps telling us to, or wait until I'm in little doubt?

Go to the doctors. It is best to get examined and make sure. Chances are it is minor or treatable, but it is important to make sure. It will put your mind at rest, or else it will identify a problem early enough to put it right.
All the best.

Jeez only just seen this thread, welcome back and glad you;re okay, speedy recovery!!!

no pun intended but what a sobering thing to happen.

Go to the doctors. It's probably just prostatitis - inflamation of the prostate. They'll give you antibiotics which will help. There's just the minor indignity of having someone shove their finger up your ****...

Hopefully not the epileptic intern, some years ago I was talking with an older guy at work and he mentioned how embarrassing getting a colonoscopy was. I told him no, what would be embarrassing would be refusing to get one and dying from colon cancer two years later.

All the best and even if you only do a brew once in a while your still brewing . Stay safe.

Hopefully not the epileptic intern, some years ago I was talking with an older guy at work and he mentioned how embarrassing getting a colonoscopy was. I told him no, what would be embarrassing would be refusing to get one and dying from colon cancer two years later.

I wouldn't let even the nympho missus put her finger in my back door, let alone some guy with a 'tache. I'd rather risk an early checkout, and that's a fact. Meanwhile, hope your recovery is coming on apace Godsdog!

Sorry for taking this off topic GD but its not often you get blokes talking about this subject.

I wouldn't let even the nympho missus put her finger in my back door, let alone some guy with a 'tache. I'd rather risk an early checkout, and that's a fact. Meanwhile, hope your recovery is coming on apace Godsdog!

Looks like you may not have to have suffer the indignity of a digital rectal examination for much longer -

“Current diagnosis of prostate cancer is extremely inefficient, leading to unnecessary treatments for many patients,” said the Dundee University team’s leader, Professor Ghulam Nabi. “Our new method is far more accurate and also allows us to identify the difference between cancerous and benign tissue in the prostate without the need for invasive surgery.”

Current methods for determining if a prostate has become cancerous include a physical examination of the prostate (known as a digital rectal examination or DRE), MRI scans, a biopsy or tests to determine levels of the chemical prostate-specific antigen (PSA) in the blood.

The new method aims to get round the problems by targeting the prostate with ultrasound. Cancerous tissue is stiffer than normal tissue so shear waves are slowed as they pass through a tumour.

“We have been able to show a stark difference in results between our technology and existing techniques such as MRI,” added Nabi. “The technique has picked up cancers which MRI did not reveal. We can now see with much greater accuracy what tissue is cancerous, where it is and what level of treatment it needs. This is a significant step forward.”

Read in full -https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/22/prostate-cancer-ultrasound-diagnosis-test

Back