My Christmas brew isn't 'Christmassy'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledGecko

Zythophile, innit mate
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
my first brew after a long gap and it seemed appropriate to make a Christmas ale, why not?
It was a Wilco Winter Ale which had a sachet of Christmas flavouring which I added at the specified time.
OG 1050 / FG 1018 (ABV 4.2%) Pressure fermented at 10psi, left to clear and then 15 litres kegged.

Couldn't resist a taster tonight and though it looks the part it is distinctly lacking in the festive flavouring.

Is it too late to do anything on the flavouring front or is there a possibility of lobbing a fine mesh bag of something nice into the keg?

Thoughts being the mesh bag would hold the bits in place to prevent 'stuff' in the beer.
Was thinking of sticking chunky flavourings in the bag, citrus peel shavings, cinnamon stick, star anise type thing.

Or should I just leave it as an acceptable red(ish) ale and try again next year?
Would value your thoughts and wise council on this very pressing matter. :hat:

Cheers all,

Kevin

I would sort the mesh bag idea, chuck it in for a few days, remove, and re-pressurise with more priming sugar as seems fit. acheers.

My experience with citrus skin in secondary is a fairly nice beer turning into bubble bath.

I had a real success with getting a load of those christmas spices and some marmalde, shoving it all on the cooker with some water and making a broth out of it, straining it and adding that after.

Once I blanched some sultanas and spices and put them in the bottom of a fermenter and they all swelled up and made the beer really nice, plus they were fun to eat.

My experience with citrus skin in secondary is a fairly nice beer turning into bubble bath.

I had a real success with getting a load of those christmas spices and some marmalde, shoving it all on the cooker with some water and making a broth out of it, straining it and adding that after.

Once I blanched some sultanas and spices and put them in the bottom of a fermenter and they all swelled up and made the beer really nice, plus they were fun to eat.

Interesting, hadn't thought about preparing a broth and whacking it in the keg. Removes the risk of floaty bits in the beer and I can taste and get an idea of the result ahead of adding it. Brilliant, thanks Drunkula.

Also thanks Slid, that'll now be my plan 'B'

Cheers guys!

Latest posts

Back