My Claim to Fame

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot off the press, just drove through Rye in E Sussex and saw Tony Robinson walking his dog along the street.
Perhaps I should point out that just seeing a Celebrity does not automatically count as a Claim to Fame, there must be some other factor. For example ‘I once saw Harold Wilson standing in a queue outside the paper shop in the Isles of Scilly’ would not qualify, whereas ‘I know that Harold Wilson’s dog has a small Watneys Red Barrel hanging on its collar’ just might!

When I was 20, I left Manchester and went and worked in a London pub for a couple of years. While working there I made quite a few friends.

A few years later, around 1993, I was invited down for this friends birthday party, whose birthday was 4 days before mine. He owned a restaurant in Covent Garden, so knew many people.

Unfortunately, I couldn't make it down to visit but on the night of his birthday he phoned me, and told me he had a friend who wanted to speak to me and wish me a happy birthday.

The lady was lovely on the phone and sang happy birthday to me. Although I recognised her voice, I refused to believe it was actually her phoning me. She said she'd prove it, and immediately burst into singing 'Never, never, never' and 'Natalie' down the phone.

It was Shirley Bassey, who'd been appearing at the Royal Albert Hall that night, and had gone on to his party.

It's a moment I will never forget but I've kicked myself ever since for giving that party a miss 😰

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back