My Claim to Fame

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a drink with Brendan O’Carroll of Mrs Browns Boys after one of their live shows one night. He is a very nice guy. Had a pee in a urinal beside Stephen Gately (RIP) from Boyzone one time at a Cinema in Dublin. And one night I was away with work at a Hotel just outside Watford. The 3 guys from Top Gear were in the Bar with the crew. A girl in our company really wanted to go over and say hi. We advised her not to, but she insisted. The poor girl came back crying after being made feel very embarrassed by the guys. Not very nice people. I can understand that it must be a pain having people come up to you if you’re famous. I’d never do it myself but no need to be so nasty.

Last edited:
I had a drink with Brendan O’Carroll of Mrs Browns Boys after one of their live shows one night. He is a very nice guy. Had a pee in a urinal beside Steven Gately (RIP) from Boyzone one time at a Cinema in Dublin. And one night I was away with work at a Hotel just outside Watford. The 3 guys from Top Gear were in the Bar with the crew. A girl in our company really wanted to go over and say hi. We advised her not to, but she insisted. The poor girl came back crying after being made feel very embarrassed by the guys. Not very nice people. I can understand that it must be a pain having people come up to you if you’re famous. I’d never do it myself but no need to be so nasty.
Should have gone over and had a few words....no need to treat the girl like that. W++k++rs.

That passed me by ! Did'nt know as i was in hospital myself after a motorcycle accident.
I won a Scottish superbike race at Knockhill the first and only time i've used wet tyres.
I’ve lived about half an hour away from Knockhill for the past 7 years nearly and never been to watch a race, it’s definitely on a post lockdown list of things to do.

I was in hotel in Oxford. Van Morrison was also there with his band and crew after playing a gig. He told me to **** off when I went over to say hello.

I sat on the original jury for the Sally Challen murder case who later got released 10 years later and then set the legal presence for the now known coercive control legislation. You might remember it from the news/media.

Ev
I’ve lived about half an hour away from Knockhill for the past 7 years nearly and never been to watch a race, it’s definitely on a post lockdown list of things to do.
Every season in one day, it’s worthwhile going for a look around on a nice day. Good view down towards Edinburgh and the bridges.

I work away, and have done for many years, I sat next to the guy who played Lock in "Lost" when in New Jersey Liberty Airport, had a nice chat with John Goodman whilst on the Hertz bus in St Louis, he was coming back home after filming and a lot of the airport workers were all welcoming him back, he was really nice. I got into a lift to the car parks at LHR and stood next to Tim Burton, maybe it was the early morning, but we just exchanged pleasantries, he did say that we were having lovely weather, normally the Brits line that one!
I've walked past The Human League, they were playing at Benicassim that year. I also met Martin Johnson just after 1997 Loins Tour, shook his hand, congratulating him on the success. On the crappier end of the scale, was standing behind George Galloway again at LHR whilst going through security, a couple of years after "Pussycatgate"

In San Francisco, stumbled across the boat that was part of the set for Nash Bridges. Security let us in for a look and then told us to 'stand there, don't move, don't say anything, Mr Johnson is coming'. So we did as we were told and sure enough, Don Johnson duly strolled past us and onto the set to film.

A day hanging out & boozing with Motörhead before a gig on at Sheffield. Drummer “Philthy Animal” Phil Taylor wearing plastic boobies. Support band Girlschool were quite amenable too 😀

OK, I'm going to pitch in with another surreal/holy sh11t type experience! Again, while living in Brazil, I took a colleague who had just arrived the night before, and first timer to Rio de Janeiro, a guided tour around the main areas (safe ones). First stop was an area close to my apartment in the Flamengo area, where there's a beach and coastal walk that takes you to another area called Botafogo. At Flamengo beach, there's a huge grassy area, normally empty, populated with picnickers, joggers and dog walkers - that day, it had a huge area fenced-off, with gazebo's set up and fancy souped-up cars dotted around. 'Strange' I said to my workmate, 'wonder what's going on here'. It was the whole press/promotion setup for the new Fast & Furious film 'Fast Five, filmed in...Rio de Janeiro. Duh!

We leaned on a gate at the perimeter and started spotting all the actors and actresses from the franchise, then heard this deep, but polite voice, and looked up to see Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson. Don't know how we missed him approaching - he's massive! We stood aside, and said 'hi'. That was it, 'hi' :oops:. He said 'hi' back, with that big white teethy smile! Wish we'd engaged a bit more as he seems like such a down to earth nice guy, but we were a bit star struck!

What an impressive first day’s haul, and what interesting lives home-brewers do lead. Who said Reminiscing isn’t as good as it used to be!

Brilliant to hear of actual claims to fame - other than the Owen Wilson experience, mines are all just brief encounters....well, apart from my Dad and I spending time talking to the Grumbleweeds (there's an old one for you) in the queue for the bar at Butlins Ayr. Sydney Devine was the main attraction that night!

Whether that's a claim to fame though? 🤔 😁

Tiny bubbles....

Not me, but my daughter when a student:
She had arrived at Charing Cross with her boyfriend to go to a theatre show.
Not knowing London at all well, they crossed Strand and my daughter asked a passing lady, dressed for going to a function, if she could help her by pointing them in the direction of Covent Garden.
A fleeting expression of irritation turned to one of helpful concern, and the close proximity of Covent Garden up any of the lanes that side of the road was indicated.
My daughter thanked the lady, then turned to her booted and dinner suited companion to thank him also and apologise for having accosted them.
In mid-flow she realised she was speaking to Tim McInnerny (Captain Darling amongst other roles).
He gave a wry smile of acknowledgement and both couples went happily on to their respective evening venues.

When I was serving my apprenticeship back home in Leeds I was tasked in doing the 12 month maintenance snagging on a new build hotel “42 The Calls”.Just general fill and touch up settlement cracks. Having asked the receptionist for room keys and asking if the occupants are out I was handed a key and told it was Miss Zeta-Jones’s suit, and to make sure I left the room spotless. The film crew and cast were staying whilst filming for “The Darling Buds of May”. On entering I was greeted to a rather small Lacy black pair of pantys,, to which I couldnt resist in popping on my head and asking the carpenter “Guess who’s these are ?!”.. so iv had Catherine Zeta Jones’s knickers on my head, don’t tell Micheal !. Also I was in India at a beach party and puked up in the Jungle whilst having a pee only for the singer Zoe of “Sunshine on a Rainy Day” fame, who was also in jugle taking a pee and also worst for wear tread through my puke to which she called me a “Dirty F@£king Bas|%€d !.

Last edited:
Another couple for you. As a child I went to the opening of a bookies in my hometown of Rugby ( as you do!- my dad took me) and shook the hand and had an autograph of the legendary one eyed English Goalkeeper Sir ( I think)Gordon Banks. Another shop at a different time was being opened by Ruth Madoc from Hi-de-hi fame.

Met a bloke that plays a bloke in Emmerdale,Kev from Corrie sister and Andy Kershaw.All on Todmorden market.

Back