My first all grain brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick APA today;

4kg marris otter,
15g citra @ 60
25g of citra and same of cascade @ 20
25g of each @ 10 mind

50g cascade and 35g citra dry hop in a few days. Crossmyloof kiwi pale ale yeast

OG is 1041 - might water down a little as was looking for a low alcohol beer - and came out with only 16 litres when expected 20!
IMG_20210509_104704.jpg

Last edited:
The lager got to 1010 and stopped so that was that - maybe the pressure was too much for the yeast? Anyway, looks and smelt fine so into the keezer to cold crash.

Day two was today, it had soaked up more co2 and the pressure dropped to 10psi - so I popped some more in today ready to move to the final keg. After work tonight I poured a swift one to test it out - omg it is awesome already. Loads of chill haze but otherwise a clear and clean beer. Love it. Doesn't taste exactly like the Lost Lager, but does taste very good. And at just 8 days since brew day I'm very happy. It actually reached 1010 sooner so I could have kegged then but I was aiming for 1006. Anyway, a a 4.2% lager will be me nicely. And I assume it will only taste better in time! The APA/kiwi-pa will need a cold crash so it will get some extra cold time soon again.

IMG-20210512-WA0012.jpeg

Just dry hopped the APA - 50g cascade and 45g citra as realised I bought a 225g bag so have a little more to play with. Will cold crash Thursday lunchtime and hope to keg sat or Sunday depending how swiftly it looks clear - though it is already looking pretty clean in the bucket (though just added the hops so will be murky again soon!)

Had a session on the lager on Friday. Still a little green but very drinkable and the compliments from a couple of friends was very good (though damn cold in the garden!) - I had a can of Lost Lager in the evening and mine def isn't as clean and hoppy as the canned version. On the clean taste I think that will come in time (though maybe I should have used bottled water as the water here is terrible), but disappointed wasn't as hoppy and bitter. Tempted to add more dry hop to the keg but I don't want to risk if going grassy and will mean changing the dip tube. As lockdown eases I cant see it lasting long so maybe I'll just have to drink through it and try another!

Man that lager was popular, my fastest drunk keg. Just weighed everything out for tomorrow and set the Klarstein to be at temp for 7.30am - let's see how fast I can get it in the keg and ready to pressure ferment!

Sadly, only have the two legs so that means I'll be forced to finish the other keg over the next week so the lager can be moved off the dry hops.

If I have the time I really should get another ipa on...
IMG_20210717_165656.jpg

Wrapped up and ready for the morning...

So Lost Lager brew again + I forgot to put the hops I used last time - will get the recipe down today.

So left my well wrapped klarstein all set up and when I got up this morning it had only been at temp (72c) for 8 mins which was good timing on my/the kids behalf.

Moved it outside (mildly foolish I know) but I don't like to leave it out over night and on.

IMG_20210718_075931.jpg

Normally I spend ages spooning the grain in, but just tipped it in today, as a medium sort of speed and stirred as I went. No lumps so all happy.

Temp settled to 68c and dropped the heating temp to 67c as it has a 3c span before the element kicks in.

IMG_20210718_075124.jpg

Well wrapped like this in a camping mat and two towels, the element barely kicks on over the hour long mash.

IMG_20210718_075926.jpg

Also wrapped up I find very little different between the top and bottom temp (normally use an electric thermometer but it died on me today) .

IMG_20210718_075645.jpg

And when rooting around the freezer I found last time I'd frozen 350ml of wort, so I defrosted that and started a starter last night.

Right off to get up. I'll post the recipe when I get to the boil.

Attachments

• IMG_20210718_074507.jpg
    IMG_20210718_074507.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 30
A bit late now as I'm all weighed out and brewing this tomorrow, but any thoughts on this hoppy lager recipe?

3.6kg pilsner
200g wheat

Hallertau 15g 60m
Tettnang 15g 20m
Tettnang 15g 10m
Tettnang 30g 0m

Simcoe 65g dry hop

Lager yeast - pressure fermentation!

Yeast is kept going from some I took from a steam beer I put in last weekend. Looking great, will build up further tomorrow once the wort has boiled - I'll draw off a litre or so to get a starter going fast.

Attachments

• VID_20231006_202625.mp4
    8.1 MB
So the brew is on (early morning mashing) - I've spoken to a brewer friend and will drop the dry hops - and see how it tastes without them - this is also my first lager I've done at 62c mash - I normally do everything around 65-67c - interested to see how it turns out and if it is any different!

The lager turned out amazing - my best yet. I had my fellow homebrewer friend over on Friday, and he couldn't believe that only had 5g of Simcoe at flame out (I do no chill so I waited for the wort drop to 80c and then threw the 5g of hops in for 10 mins. Gives it a lovely taste, with out being over powering.

I used his 25 litre corny to pressure ferment, so much easier than trying to do it in a 19l one and then losing at least 2l to dead space and another 2 or more in the trub.

In all, very happy with all the beers - and the 'apa' type beer I do (citra and cascade) was great with the added Simcoe.

IMG_20231015_135442.jpg
steam beer was darker (and maltier) than planned when I subbed MO for 2-row - my own fault for not really paying attention, but a great beer. Reminds me of an Auzzy VB

IMG_20230929_190105.jpg

Clearest APA I've made yet!

IMG_20231015_134959.jpg

I really want one of these kegs now, fit nicely in my keezer for a cold crash!

IMG_20231018_204625.jpg

Lager looking lovely, 200g of wheat really helped with the head.

Back