My first all grain brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking to fire up my Klarstein for my first all grain brew.

I am planning an ipa-ish type beer, with looking to brew 20litres:

4.5kg marris otter
15g Citra (60 min)
15g Citra (15 min)
15g Cascade (15 min)
15g Citra (0 min)
15g Cascade (0 min)
15g Citra (dry hop)
30g Cascade (dry hop)

(recipe from here - though I only have a single malt so have varied that - https://homebrewacademy.com/citra-pale-ale/ )

Not sure which yeast I'll pick, I have 3 mango Jack's yeasts I picked at semi random, a California lager (brew at ale temps), a east coast ipa yeast and an English/American ipa yeast.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the above or tips, and I'll post as I go along - just need it fit it all in around a promised cinema trip for the kids.

Cinema and the need to head to London put back my brew day until next weekend.

Hoping have the tubing to use with the chiller by then.

I take it your English/American IPA yeast is Liberty Bell? Since your beer isn’t a total “hop bomb” I’d probably go with that.

I didn’t know MJ did an East Coast IPA yeast, what number/name is it as I might try it when I next do an order.

I take it your English/American IPA yeast is Liberty Bell? Since your beer isn’t a total “hop bomb” I’d probably go with that.

I didn’t know MJ did an East Coast IPA yeast, what number/name is it as I might try it when I next do an order.

Here you go - I stand corrected it is a West Coast!
Screenshot_20190716_103621_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

And thanks for the above - I might dial up the hops - especially the dry hops - not looking for Brew Dog type beer, but I do like a little over hopped.

Thanks - hugely useful. My brews so far have been all kits with added DME and hops - but it's been guesswork and gut feel. All been drinkable so far but looking to sharpen things up a litlle now!

Plannig on upping the hops to:

At start of boil add 15g citra
After 45 mins add 25g of citra and same of cascade
At an hour add another 25g of each and turn off.

Leave to cool for a little before removing the hops bag (an hour? ) - then pouring to fv to slowly cool in there.

Then adding 50g cascade and 35g citra to dry hop on the 2nd week of fermentation.

Thoughts?

OK so started last night, weighing out my grain, and treating the water to half a campden tablet, water is terrible here.
IMG_20190721_121155.jpg

I got a load of these ice cream tubs to store bits in, very useful

Then I set the water - 15l into the pan I've heated the sparge water in and set my Klarstein to heat to mashing temp (on a timer) then went out to take the kids swimming (my wife was in to keep an eye on things should it need it.

IMG_20190721_121159.jpg

When I got in the water was nearly perfect so I popped the grain in stirring all the time, and then wrapped up the whole thing.

IMG_20190721_130825.jpg

Mashed and then sparge (turn the heat up to full while sparging).

IMG-20190721-WA0004.jpeg

All done, waiting a few minutes for it to cool to around 80c to add final hops. Will move to fv tonight or tomorrow.

Smells great but looks rather thin right now, maybe that is the fining tablet?

In the fv last night, but was still 30c this am. Cooled to 23c by lunch so just added the yeast. Looking a bit murky and gunky - so a little fearful something is in there that shouldn't be, but ah well, will see soon how it turns out. Gone a much darker colour.

Back