My first all grain brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squeezed in a brew on Sunday, didn't think I could but really wanted to get something I can drink at Xmas. I'd planned to also do a stout but unlikely I'll have a keg free by then, so will have to wait.

I've not made a lager since my first ever (pretty poor) kit brew. I have a few people who'll be over at Xmas who stick to lager so I thought I'd give it a go.

That said this is a 1926 Barclays Perkins dark lager, and I upped the total hops from 85g to 100g, with 2g more in the first two additions, 4 more in the 3rd and 8g more in the flame out.
As before I did a no chill, so I removed the hops from the liquid pretty fast after the boil - I was boiling in the garden so cooled from 100c to 82c in about 15 mins, when I transferred to the fv. The thermometer on the boiler is useful.

I normally use a huge hop bag, but it fell in, so had to seive the liquor on the way out of the tap which kept clogging the seive. Will clamp the hop bag down better in the future.

Overall very happy with how it came out, looks and smelt good - maybe my best yet? Though got me thinking about fitting a bazooka inside the klarstein, but not sure if there is room.

Only other issue was it doughing in as using 6kg of grain when used to 4ish, so the bottom of the grain basket gammed up a bit. My plastic spoon started to melt and bend, so had to use a bit of wood. This also meant a painfully slow sparge, and a lot of liquid trapped in the grain which drained out later. Wish I'd thrown it in the boil but for an unknown reason I poured it away. I ended up with about 15litres when aiming for 22, but since this was an OG of 1065 when was aiming for 1057 so I watered it down until I got there and have about 18 litres in the fv.

Since I have the kezeer I was going to use a proper lager yeast but was limited to what my chosen supplier had, so using a different one, a German yeast for lager style beers.

The recipe: https://beerandbrewing.com/1926-barclay-perkins-london-dark-lager/

Pics

IMG_20191124_184146_807.jpg
IMG_20191123_144418.jpg

And enjoyed some of my previous all grain brews while I waited for the boil and the cool down.
Screenshot_20191126_204306_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:
To check back in, the og was 1057 (after a little watering down) and just finished at 1014 - so over 5.6 % and a strong flavour. I'm going to start a cold crash now, first of all leaving in my shed which is about 6c, then in the keezer and then ill knock the keezer down to 1c for the weekend and hopefully keg next week.

Before kegging I'll carb up a single bottle and see what it tastes like. Considering watering it down a little, - has anyone has any luck with that before?

Squeezed in a brew on Sunday, didn't think I could but really wanted to get something I can drink at Xmas. I'd planned to also do a stout but unlikely I'll have a keg free by then, so will have to wait.

I've not made a lager since my first ever (pretty poor) kit brew. I have a few people who'll be over at Xmas who stick to lager so I thought I'd give it a go.

That said this is a 1926 Barclays Perkins dark lager, and I upped the total hops from 85g to 100g, with 2g more in the first two additions, 4 more in the 3rd and 8g more in the flame out.
As before I did a no chill, so I removed the hops from the liquid pretty fast after the boil - I was boiling in the garden so cooled from 100c to 82c in about 15 mins, when I transferred to the fv. The thermometer on the boiler is useful.

I normally use a huge hop bag, but it fell in, so had to seive the liquor on the way out of the tap which kept clogging the seive. Will clamp the hop bag down better in the future.

Overall very happy with how it came out, looks and smelt good - maybe my best yet? Though got me thinking about fitting a bazooka inside the klarstein, but not sure if there is room.

Only other issue was it doughing in as using 6kg of grain when used to 4ish, so the bottom of the grain basket gammed up a bit. My plastic spoon started to melt and bend, so had to use a bit of wood. This also meant a painfully slow sparge, and a lot of liquid trapped in the grain which drained out later. Wish I'd thrown it in the boil but for an unknown reason I poured it away. I ended up with about 15litres when aiming for 22, but since this was an OG of 1065 when was aiming for 1057 so I watered it down until I got there and have about 18 litres in the fv.

Since I have the kezeer I was going to use a proper lager yeast but was limited to what my chosen supplier had, so using a different one, a German yeast for lager style beers.

The recipe: https://beerandbrewing.com/1926-barclay-perkins-london-dark-lager/

Pics

View attachment 21631 View attachment 21632

And enjoyed some of my previous all grain brews while I waited for the boil and the cool down.
View attachment 21633
Looks good although probably won’t be much difference with an extra 15g of hops, I find that even 20-30g of extra hops I only get a bit more oomph and I usually throw in an extra 50g if my last effort was decent without being what I’m looking for.
Cost creeps up fast though

So
... The Barclay Perkins was another binned beer. I can only think I brewed it too warm :( proper pear drop taste.

Sad times!

Returning to the apa style beer that I've had 2 great brews of, hoping that I can recreate it again! Mixing it up a little this time, switching the Citra and the Cascade timings as the citra bitterness was pretty strong, from the 60min boil. Any thoughts on the below? (ill be boiling at 9am, so I haven't given you long!

4.5kg marris otter

Cascade 25g 60mins
Cascade 25g 15mins
Citra 35g 15mins
Beerbrite 10mins
Cascade 30g 0mins
Citra 25g 0mins

Crossmyloof US Pale Ale yeast

Cascade 20g and Citra 40g dry hop 3 days before kegging.

I've sorted out a water bath to ensure that this is brewed at 18c as pretty sure that is what ruined my last. I used a lower temp yeast in my downstairs bathroom when we had the heating on a lot. Ho hum. I learn...

IMG_20200201_170358.jpg

First brew with filtered water (still treated with a campden tablet as so chloriney here

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I hate all this talk of throwing away a brew!

On many occasions, I have found that a brew that tastes foul after a couple of weeks can condition and develop into a superb drink. As a result, I would almost (*) never bin a brew until at least a month after it had been carbonated and was laid down to condition.

"Patience is a virtue when brewing." is a saying that doesn't just apply to the fermentation stage!

(*)
The exception to this rule is when the brew is obviously infected. When this happens (twice in my experience) it tastes and smells like malt vinegar; which is exactly what it is!

IMG_20200202_125141.jpg

These bulldog clips are great for holding my hops bags up and out the way, keeping the insulating towels up and also keeping the lid just a little up while I do my no chill. I left the boiler switched off while I went swimming and came back to it at 50c so I transferred to the fv
IMG_20200202_125151.jpg

Nicely aired ;)

Straight into the water bath - turned the heater off until the temp settles down - last time I checked was still 40c

Last edited:
Cheers, I agree - it's been in the barrel in the fridge at 5c for well over a month now and it is 'nice' other than a strong pear drop taste. I've tried powering through and have had friends over to see if it was just me, but this and the brew before last were not drinkable - both after around 6 weeks of conditioning. Gutted - but no good to drink. I'll keep it in the barrel until I need the barrel, but not hopeful yet - pretty sure I was just too warm for the yeast on this one. Ho hum, always learning. This latest brew will go in the mongrel keg I'm nearly finished, certain I will be in 2 weeks, so the Barclay Perkins will have another 4 weeks or even longer before I need the keg, but hoping to brew again in two weeks - so I'll keep testing it. But not holding out much hope.

To clarify the tastes - the first that I binned was really bleachy - not sure if it was the keg or the fv that I hadn't rinsed well enough, maybe the dipstick in the keg held some sanitiser?
The Barclay Perkins has a sweet pear drops edge that isn't nice to drink more than a swig of - guessing stressed yeast?

On many occasions, I have found that a brew that tastes foul after a couple of weeks can condition and develop into a superb drink. As a result, I would almost (*) never bin a brew until at least a month after it had been carbonated and was laid down to condition.

"Patience is a virtue when brewing." is a saying that doesn't just apply to the fermentation stage!

(*)
The exception to this rule is when the brew is obviously infected. When this happens (twice in my experience) it tastes and smells like malt vinegar; which is exactly what it is!

Last edited:
Also spotted on a other thread @Dutto that you are also an Anglia Water user - if you find yourself in Sheringham come say hi and test out the beers ;)

Ha! Anglian Water may very well be the problem!

Sheringham is in a "very hard water" area at 321 mg/l of Calcium Carbonate - this is why I mix my own brews at least 50:50 with Spring Water. Check out this site for further details ...

http://waterquality.anglianwater.com/map.aspx

BTW, Sheringham is over 80 miles away from Sleaford so the chances of me dropping in are remote, but thanks for the invite. athumb..

Cheers - currently just filter and add a campden - I plan to start 'fixing' the poor water here but a long list of things that are taking my headspace ;)

But if you ever pass this way come and say hi ;)

(*)

So! This beer has sat in the keg (under pressure and at 3c ever since it tasted of pear drops) . I was supposed to pour it away when I did another brew, but I've not had time (wife has been ill with covid for several months) with looking after the kids and work.

And been off the beer as a bit shattered.

Anyway, kids back at school and my wife is a lot better (still not herself though) - but I've been back on the beers and this now tastes amazing! I still think the citra/cascade APA is the my favourite, but this is also a delicious riff on a lager. Very pleased it didn't get binned! I think I need another keg now!

IMG_20200918_163105.jpg

Last edited:
So been forever since I've brewed but today I got back in it.

After getting some of the 'free' lost lager from brewdog when their offer was on, I wanted to try making some. The dark lager above was good but I wanted a 'proper' lager like the lost lager. Luckily brew dog post all their recipes online

Screenshot_20210428_172158_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

Getting the exact hops was a challenge so I went with alternatives, and I upped the bittering hop to 10g - but followed the steps as normal.
IMG_20210502_095901.jpg

Felt a small grain bill, but guessing all good.
IMG_20210502_103407.jpg

Nice to have some help today!

I do my lazy no chill. After giving the final hops 5 mins to soak in and do their magic, with the wort still at 95c I went straight into a jar for starter then the rest into the keg. (replaced the dip tube with a floating one.)

I then stuck the keg in a bucket with some water in and covered with a wet towel, changing the water every time I thought to.
IMG_20210502_135551.jpg

Then made a starter - I don't normally bother, but I had the time and thought I should for a lager yeast.
IMG_20210502_170417.jpg

Then had some of the black lager from before. Been in the keg for well over a year and tastes great!
IMG_20210502_172058.jpg

I'd taken the keg out the bucket before dinner but when I came out it was a bit warm still so through a damp tshirt on it and by 7ish it was down to 25c

IMG_20210502_174954.jpg

Then took it in the shed, took the temp again, and the og (1042 - spot on!) dropped in the hops and added the yeast starter. I purged the keg with gas a couple of times then pressured quickly to 20psi and then put the spunding valve straight on - set to 15psi.

This will sit at room temp for 5 to 7 days then into the keezer at 1c for 5 days then will transfer to serving keg and carb. I better get drinking that black lager as that is my only other keg!

Of note, under the towel in the mashing image is a foil covered camping mat. That plus the towels (one around and one folded and on the lid) held the temp really well. In the 65 min mash the heater only kicked in twice and not for long. Each time it did I stirred. I had a digital thermometer in the lid and it seemed pretty close to the reading in the klarstein, and the fluctuations were lower than with just the towels.

I boiled for 90 mins, and lost 5 litres between the mashing and the boil (started with 20l water then sparge with 5l, ended with 20 after the boil).

Only other thing of note is I think I filled the keg too full and feel the beer will come out the spunding valve, but hope it doesn't cause any issues! I've left it pointing to the sink...

Next steps, I want 3 more kegs - two for brewing and one for serving - but I can't afford them now, but in the long list.

Planning on the hoppy APA/IPA I have done before next, and if all goes well will do that next weekend - won't pressure ferment that, as otherwise I'll have to take it out the keg into a bucket and back again and that seems silly...

Last edited:
Went to go and check on it this morning, the shed was 13c and colder than planned so brought it in the house to the downstairs shower were it always seems about 18c.before doing it I checked the spunding which had gotten to 20psi - dropped back to 10psi - smells amazing! Really hope that this is a nice quick brew both as I want to drink it and to keep that amazing dry hop smell in!
IMG_20210503_082802.jpg

Update - I haven't brewed with an airlock since my first brew (I just crack the lid of the bucket normally) so it is exciting to hear the beer each time I go by the shower room. Loads of gas burping out the spunding valve, and the occasional bit of beer/krausen. I only used one pack of yeast (with a starter made about 3 hours before I pitched - the starter was very happy by the time it went in) and it seems to be doing fine. I plan on taking a reading on day 5 - looking for fg of 1006

Recipe as that image was tiny (and I changed the hops) :

3.3kg pilsner malt
300g Vienna malt
Mashed in 20 litres at 68c for 65 mins

Sparged with 5 litres at 75c

90 mins boil

10g Saaz at 60mins
15g Tettnang at 20mins
15g Tettnang at 10mins
1 Beer Brite at 10mins
10g Tettnang and 20g Hallertau at 0 mins

Sat for 10 mins then poured into starter jug and keg - added 10psi to seal the lid and left to cool.

Once at 20c (ish) added the start and 30g of Hallertau as the dry hop. Brewed at 18 to 20c under 10psi. Will increase to 15psi day 4 and then 20psi day 5, before taking a reading on day 5.

Once hits 1006 I'll move to the keezer set to 1c for a couple of days before moving to the final keg and carbing. Cannot wait. If needs be I'll keep it at 1c in t e final keg for a few days to weeks to get the taste right. I'll need to crash my next brew regardless so will certainly have some good time under pressure and the cold to get it nice and lagery!

I better get polishing off the black lager so I can make room for this.

Back