My first extract brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Xeno

Reaction score
I brew a lot of dme brews as well as all grain.
3kg dme for 22 litres along with any steeping grains or spices and whatever hops Dark Farm hop club sends me.
I always boil full volume as I would with all grain.
Had some pretty good beers if I do say so myself.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just did my first extract kit this evening. I enjoyed the process. I just had a 9 litre stock pot, so 30 minute steep of the grains in 2 litres of water at 67 degrees, 2 litres of water at 80 degrees to rinse the grains, added 1 of the LME cans and topped up with water. 60 minute boil, added the other can of LME after coming off the heat. Cooled to 50 degrees and added it to the FV. Topped up with water to 23 litres. I had 5 litres of water in the freezer to help dropping the temp to 22 degrees and pitched the yeast. Looking forward to giving this Citra Pale Ale a go in 6 weeks time.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
The Citra Pale Ale turned out fantastic. Really nice beer and right up there in my top 3. I made up my second full extract kit yesterday. It’s a Dick Dastardly Dunkel Hefeweizen from The Homebrew Company. Their full extract kits are down to just €18 at the moment. I’m going to pick up a couple more full extract kits during the week. For the price of 1 premium kit you can have 2 full extract kits. It’s a no brainer.

Jim Brewster

Malt teaser
Reaction score
I find DME to be very good for the pay off in time Vs end product. Just missing a bit of body but maybe some Dry Wheat Malt extract could make up for that. Damn, should have ordered some in my last order.

Steeping grains works but they aren't mashed so will be almost entirely unfermentable (though I do try to do a brief mini-mash if I'm steeping, so I heat the water to 65 and then dunk a small amount of grains and stand them for about 10 minutes), before boiling and adding about half of the DME and hops for a short 15 minute boil. Rest of the DME goes in at the end just to dissolve.
Very quick brewday.

Reaction score
Their full extract kits are down to just €18 at the moment. I’m going to pick up a couple more full extract kits during the week. For the price of 1 premium kit you can have 2 full extract kits. It’s a no brainer.
What brand of extract do they supply with their kits these day? I used to buy these a few years ago, the first batches were great but then then changed the LME to unmarked tins and whatever was in there didn't taste good, so I stopped buying them. I guess they've switched again if they're good again now.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
What brand of extract do they supply with their kits these day? I used to buy these a few years ago, the first batches were great but then then changed the LME to unmarked tins and whatever was in there didn't taste good, so I stopped buying them. I guess they've switched again if they're good again now.
This kit the Dunkel Hefeweizen came with 2 Kg of DME. The Citra Pale Ale came with 2 unmarked cans of LME. You can also buy the grains and yeast separately. I live in Ireland and sometimes if I’m passing on the motorway with work I veer off and The Homebrew Company is just 15 minutes away. They are very friendly and I’m sure if you were to request DME instead of LME there would be no problem.

Reaction score
DME extract for me mainly, I do sometimes pimp kits and sometimes I do a partial mash. Extract gives me a great beer for the shortest brewtime. for something extra special i'll do a partial mash but only once or twice a year. Extract is IMO more expensive than AG or KIT - Although these days with energy prices being so high a full AG 20l+ boil might not be that much cheaper than DME extract.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
I had one of my Citra Pale Ales yesterday evening and it was gorgeous. My favourite kit of all time was Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA. I had a full batch which has been conditioning for the past month. It’s my 3rd time to make the Pink Grapefruit IPA. I tried one straight after the Full Extract Citra Pale Ale and I have to say I was disappointed. I should have had the Pink Grapefruit IPA first. The Citra Pale Ale blows it out of the water.