MY FIRST in a number of years.. TC as per forum recipe No1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch

Regular.
Reaction score
So...

Here it is.

1DJ as per the recipe. Scaled down. No extra sugar. 3g ale yeast. Its sat in the LR waiting to go at 22-24 degrees.

After a couple of hours there's nothing doing as yet.

Attachments

• IMG-20200925-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20200925-WA0001.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 84
The rule of thumb I was given is that each 250g of sugar added gives 0.020 additional gravity which equates to about 2.5% alcohol (ish - depending on various factors...).

Edit - did you hydrate the yeast, or just tip it in? Is it doing owt yet?

Ah so 200g extra should do it then.

I will consider that tomorrow.

I just chucked the yeast in. 😨

Yep its bubbling VERY slowly ☺ so far.

Fermentation - day 4.
Went up to 39 bubbles per min on Sunday. Today slower at 16 per min @ 20 degrees. 🤓

Yep. Rolled in at 1033 approx
Wow, that's watery apple juice. I usually use Tescos `pure' apple juice which usually gives me a cider of about 6.5% ABV. It's worth checking the boxes of juice in your supermarket for sugars. Hard though as some give it per 100ml, while some give it for 150ml or grams or whatever. All of it is made from concentrated juice diluted with water so it's hardly `pure' apple juice other than there's nothing else in it.

Wow, that's watery apple juice. I usually use Tescos `pure' apple juice which usually gives me a cider of about 6.5% ABV. It's worth checking the boxes of juice in your supermarket for sugars. Hard though as some give it per 100ml, while some give it for 150ml or grams or whatever. All of it is made from concentrated juice diluted with water so it's hardly `pure' apple juice other than there's nothing else in it.
Will do. With this i added 200ml cold tea and another 100ml pectulose dissolved.
Mind you. 6.5 is where id like to be. 😉

Last edited:
That's inspired me to get a TC on the go so I bought my AJ from Lidl yesterday 👍

Which shop did you buy the AJ from Mitch?its low on sugar?
Lidl. 1.5l.
Is there anything i can do to increase the potential strength? Add extra sugar but how can i then work out an increase in alcohol?

I was hoping to get something on my first attempt at 5%
TIA

Latest posts

Back