My First Partial Mash.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Waiting for the malt for my La Chouffe clone to arrive. The joys of living on an Island with a supply ship once a week, but now the crane has broken down so who knows when we'll get post or food for that matter!
So as I want to try partial mash I looked for some recipes that I could do, but I was always missing one or two ingredients. When I look for recipes for curry, for example, I usually look at a load and then cobble something together from them all. So I did it with homebrew!
Started with the Coopers Rad Abbot kit tweak recipe but added more grains to mash - here we go!
600g pale malt
100g light crystal malt.
100g chocolate malt.
65C for 30 mins.
Boil for an hour with 35g Saaz at start.
50g Hersbruker at 45mins
20g crushed corriander seeds at 50 mins.
1kg of DME Amber at flame out.
1kg dextrose as it cooled.

Then off to my warm work room to finish the brew.

1 Cooper Real Ale.
1.2kg LME
And obviously the above wort
Top up to 23 litres.

Thrash to a foam and pitch MJ M41 yeast at 22C.
OG is a scary 1.070, but it's meant to come out at 8%.
A great way to spend a drizzly day in paradise!

I totally appreciate any criticisms of what I've done, I need to learn.

Absolutely! I live 50 meters from a beach that would rival any in some far more exotic places. No VAT and low income tax. A far more laid back lifestyle and until last week we only ever had 1 covid case...ever! It's gone a bit wrong now with 27 cases, however.
35mph speed limit and no MOT, seatbelt or helmet laws for motorbikes.
The downsides - cost of living, groceries etc is very high. We rely on a supply boat once a week from the UK and once from Guernsey. Basically all parcel post arrives on Thursday, if it doesn't it'll be next Thurday!
Postage is crazy expensive sometimes. I am literally at the checkout of a homebrew shop online and they want £54 postage for a £115 order! Think I'll shop elsewhere.

Back