My First Year - Kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damienair

Landlord.
Reaction score
I am almost reaching my first year of Home Brewing. I have just stuck with Kits, as so far I have been impressed with the results. The range of Breweries and Suppliers offering kits is great too. I have learnt so much in the past year and have really enjoyed the learning process as much as the fruits of my labour. I did 13 brews so far and here is a little rating on each of my kit attempts.

1. Simply Lager kit made with 1Kg of Brewing Sugar - Purchased this kit along with my starter set up. I was delighted with the results and both my next door neighbour and myself made a good dent in it. I was just thrilled that it was drinkable - 5/10

2. Coopers Hefe Wheat Kit made with 1Kg of Wheat DME and 500g of brewing sugar - I really liked this and it was a step up from the previous kit. It tasted great with a hint of clove and banana at the end of the glass. I must do it again. 7/10

3. Australian Blend Pinot Grigio - First attempt at a wine kit, it was nice doing a white wine for my wife and the results were as good as any Pinot Grigio in the €10 price range off the shelf in any super market.

4. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA - This was fantatstic, I was really impressed. I bought 4 cans of Brewdog Elvis Juice so as to do a side by side comparison. The Elvis Juice had a stronger Grapefruit aroma, however the Mangrove Jacks Kit in my personal opinion was nicer. They were very close, but the Kit pipped Elvis Juice to the post. It is one of my favorites so far. 9/10

5. Festival Oaked Apple Cider - I bought this for the Summer. It was delicious, however it was very potent. Turned out close to 8% ABV, but i think its a little stronger. Had a couple of incidences where I had one or two after a few beers post Summer BBQ and somehow lost the use of my legs. :-) Actually now that I think of it I still have 8 pints left. Nice easy drinking and refreshing Cider but blows your head off. 8/10

6. Bruphoria James Blonde Ale from the Homebrew Company. This really surprised me, initially I was disappointed and did not like this beer. However after a few more weeks and especially 3 months later this matured into an amazing beer. I absolutely loved it and will be doing it again. It is right up along beside Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA. 9/10

7. Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat Beer - This was a lovely Wheat beer and very easy to drink. A little nicer than the Coopers Kit. My brother-in-law drank a lot of this brew and loved it. 8/10

8. Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA - This was really nice and was a lovely refreshing summer beer. However I made another batch recently and to be honest I'm not gone on it. I don't think the second batch is anywhere near as nice as my first batch of this beer. So I am leaving it to mature a little. Fist batch was a 8/10

9. Mangrove Jacks Irish Red Ale - Really nice beer, was a very dark, almost black colour rather than Red, but it was lovely. Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but i liked it. 7/10

10. Mangrove Jacks Pink Grapefruit IPA - This time I added 1 liter of Pink Grapefruit Juice. Turned out just as gorgeous as the first attempt at this Kit. Will be on my list again soon. 9/10

11. Mangrove Jacks Australian Pale Ale - This is a beautiful refreshing beer. Really really nice. Right up there along with the James Blonde Ale and Pink Grapefruit IPA. Very impressed and I still have a few bottles left which I am enjoying. 9/10

12. Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA - Not as good so far as my first attempt at this kit. I am hoping it improves with time. 6/10

13. Festival Razorback IPA - Not had a taste yet, it is currently conditioning. I have plenty of Australian Pale Ale and Juicy Session IPA to keep me going until well after Christmas. So I am going to save this brew for the New Year. But any reviews I have read have all rated this one highly.

Since coming out of lockdowns and more and more of the world opening back up again I have started back running and doing parkrun at the weekends. As a result my consumption of my own beer has rapidly declined, and so too bit by bit is the COVID 1.5 stone which I gained enjoying all the beverages listed above and BBQ's. I only have a few beers now on a Saturday night and my current stash will keep me going for a while, but in the New Year I will be trying a few different Kits. The Bruphoria James Blonde Ale was so good that I am interested in trying a couple from the Bruphoria range, will give Wit or Wit out you and Wait a Minute where's me wheat beer a try and later next year might try the Festival German Weiss Beer and Muntons Midas Touch Kit.

Thank you to everyone here for your help and support during the past year. This is such a wonderful, warm, fun and welcoming community which is rare in the online world, hence why I don't have a social media presence. I have had so much fun learning, researching and enjoying the produce. I have also become very popular with my next door neighbour.

Cheers,

Damien

Last edited by a moderator:
Good write up Damien even though I am AG I have recently done a couple of kits and good to know they are some good ones out there

Did a Razorback a couple of years ago. Was really nice. Can highly recommend the President's Sierra American Pale Ale from Love brewing. Was an absolute stonker 🤤
I too am a long time all grainer by the way but have no problems throwing a kit on when I don't have the time or inclination for a grain brew. I'm getting lazy in my retirement 🤣
So as you've already found out for yourself, there are plenty of blooming good kits out there. Some that can compare well to grain brews.
Enjoy

Cheers Tom

Did a Razorback a couple of years ago. Was really nice. Can highly recommend the President's Sierra American Pale Ale from Love brewing. Was an absolute stonker 🤤
I too am a long time all grainer by the way but have no problems throwing a kit on when I don't have the time or inclination for a grain brew. I'm getting lazy in my retirement 🤣
So as you've already found out for yourself, there are plenty of blooming good kits out there. Some that can compare well to grain brews.
Enjoy

Cheers Tom
Cheers Tom

Nice, your story similar in some respects to mine. Good work on the running too.

I really rate the Love Brewing kits too, those and the St. Peters ones are all very nice.

8. Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA - This was really nice and was a lovely refreshing summer beer.

12. Mangrove Jacks Juicy Session IPA - Not as good so far as my first attempt at this kit. I am hoping it improves with time. 6/10

Funnily enough, this is my first year of brewing (all kits) too, I have also done the MJ Juicy twice, once in March and once in late July, and I also found the second one less good than the first.

Thanks for the info.

You won't be disappointed with the Festival Razorback. I've brewed it a few times and it's excellent. You mentioned Festival German Weiss as well, another excellent brew which is indistinguishable from a commercial wheat beer.

Whilst I've brewed a lot of different kits over the years I've only done my first Mangrove Jacks kits this year which I see you have a lot of experience of. The New Zealand pale ale was excellent and I currently have a Nelson Sauvin IPA carbonating which I'll sample this weekend. I've also recently tried my first Muntons Flagship kit the Hazy IPA which I was also blown away by so have a look at that range.

It's a great time for kit brewers, so much choice now.

Forgot to add I'm also a fellow runner, great way to keep the beer belly at bay! I didn't slack off during lockdown, working from home made it so much easier to get out there though I did miss Parkrun. Managed a few solo half marathons before real events got going again and managed to get a new PB on the Worcester City Half this September. Also managed to knock 20 seconds off my Parkrun PB last weekend and managed sub 5 mins / km for the first time ever. Getting concerned that my son is going to overhaul me soon though 😁 Not bad for someone who'll be 50 next year and considering trying the 26.2 for the first time.

I like the sound of that Weiss beer! I love brewing kits - so freaky easy and so good!

Runner here too, although I prefer the fells and the bogs for ridiculous muddy fun. Just got back from a short 4 miles absolutely covered in mud, but all glowy and happy, the trees in the woods on the way back were all the autumn colours - the mist in the valley below - absolutely glorious!

Maybe we should start a running thread?

Don’t for get to try the hazy from muntons people, best kit I have ever done , defy anyone to tell the difference between the kit and all grain 🍻

I like the sound of that Weiss beer! I love brewing kits - so freaky easy and so good!

Runner here too, although I prefer the fells and the bogs for ridiculous muddy fun. Just got back from a short 4 miles absolutely covered in mud, but all glowy and happy, the trees in the woods on the way back were all the autumn colours - the mist in the valley below - absolutely glorious!

Maybe we should start a running thread?
I’ve entered into a 13K Mountain Race on the 20th, my training has taken a major setback due to being struck down with full blown ManFlu. I was only going to be making up the numbers anyway. Hopefully I’ll get parkrun done on Saturday and a 10K on Sunday and do a couple of easy runs next week. I’m sure there will be loads of fells, bogs and hiking during that race.

Forgot to add I'm also a fellow runner, great way to keep the beer belly at bay! I didn't slack off during lockdown, working from home made it so much easier to get out there though I did miss Parkrun. Managed a few solo half marathons before real events got going again and managed to get a new PB on the Worcester City Half this September. Also managed to knock 20 seconds off my Parkrun PB last weekend and managed sub 5 mins / km for the first time ever. Getting concerned that my son is going to overhaul me soon though 😁 Not bad for someone who'll be 50 next year and considering trying the 26.2 for the first time.
Fantastic and very well done on keeping up your running during the past 18 months. I kept running but went from 4 days per week to 2 days and really slowed down. Before Covid times my parkrun PB was 25:36, I’m struggling to get below 30 minutes at the moment but I’ll get back there again. Congratulations on your new PB, a sub 25 minute 5K parkrun is a goal I’d love to achieve. I too run with my Son at parkrun, I’m still holding my PB over him, just by 12 seconds. He is 12 and will blow that out of the water any day now.

Funnily enough, this is my first year of brewing (all kits) too, I have also done the MJ Juicy twice, once in March and once in late July, and I also found the second one less good than the first.
That’s interesting, the Pink Grapefruit IPA and Australian Pale Ale are great and well worth a try too.

Latest posts

Back