My fridge no longer gets cold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBoy

Reaction score
I bought a fridge specifically for brewing a few years back, and linked it to an InkBird controller. Great - warm for brewing, cool for drinking.

Recently it was being used to store beer for drinking at about 10C and I noticed it seemed to be running an awful lot, especially as the room wasn't very warm. Subsequently, it just seemed to stop cooling altogether - it runs flat out but does nothing.

Is this an annoying case of "it's bust" or is there anything fairly easy I might be able to do to try and fix it?

Vacuum the coils under or behind the fridge. Clogged coils can cause poor cooling. Check to make sure nothing is stuck in the condenser fan and that it spins freely (models with coils on the back won't have a fan)

Does the fact it makes a reasonable amount of noise suggest it has a fan - no idea if that's something that'd be obvious or I might need to hunt for it!
I recall there's some sort of grill on the back is that what you mean by cils?

I'll have to have a look after work. Though it currently is on brewing duty with about 40kg of beer inside so I might wait until that's ready to come out and bottle, and pull the thing out for a proper look.

Sounds like the fan if fan fails fridge works hard to try cool bit if fans not working or in poor condition it wobt cool which in turn will overheat fridge and bugger it could be dust or something stopping fan or fans gone

If the compressor is continually starting and stopping a few seconds later and the cooling coil thing on the back is hot then I'd say the compressor has stuck. Happens to mine now and again. Turn it off and unplug then give the black compressor case a firm thump with something, nothing metallic that might actually break it though. Someone who has a white goods shop told me about that trick. I didn't believe him at first but I though if the thing is broken anyway then it's worth a shot. I had a massive smile on my face when I switched mine back on again and it was working. I was totally gob smacked.
That said, yours could actually be dead.
It's worth a shot before you lash out on a new one athumb.. Good luck.

Cheers. Tom

Latest posts

Back