My funky dregs experiment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
Rather than throwing the kettle loss away at the end of a brew day I've been letting it settle out then filtering what amounts to a couple of litres into a 5l water bottle. I've been adding dregs of various bottles of beer into it - it's got various saison, kviek, Trappist, brett strains in there. Currently on 3rd gen (I keep some back on bottling then repitch next brew day). I'm getting some interesting beers, and only get 3 or 4 bottles, but never know quite what I'm going to end up with 😁. I think the brett may have been an error, it tends to dominate. If and when I get something really interesting I may use for a proper brew length. Just a bit of fun....

Proper FRANKENbrews.
The trouble is once you get a perfect beer for you how would you reproduce it?

Proper FRANKENbrews.
The trouble is once you get a perfect beer for you how would you reproduce it?
I can't 🤪. I suspect that the ratios of different yeasts will shift continually. But then I very rarely (never?) brew exactly the same recipe twice. Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved.....or something!

I also save the dregs from the kettle, boil and bottle. either use it for starters or tip them into the fermenter as a top up on another brew.
010.JPG

Latest posts

Back