My impression of Styrian Cardinal hops.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I went to my LHBS with the intention of buying some Styrian Goldings. I had obviously only read the first word on the pack since when I got it home it was Styrian Cardinal:headbang:.
No problem, thought I. I'll use it for something. I almost always concoct my own recipes so I felt sure I could do something with it.
I brewed 23l bittered with Target. Maris Otter and 250g of Crystal to give me an OG of 1.050. I added 50g of Styrian C at flameout, chilled to 80 degrees and used the other 50g as a dry hop.
The beer has dropped very clear very quickly so it would be unreasonable not to have had a cheeky one...........which has soon become a cheeky several:beer1::beer1::beer1:. Delicious. The late hops are not greatly fruity but seriously resinous and piney. Recently picked cob nuts with a slight edge of indistinct fruit. Getting poetic now. It must be good:smile6:. I would recommend this hop on it's own or teamed with something with a bit more acidity to it. The AA content was 10.58%. My beer has a medium sweetness.
For my next brew I'll get the hop again and might try it with Chinook, which is always a favourite of mine.

I used this hop a years or so ago. The blurb on the website touted tropical fruit flavours. I didn't get any of that and I think it didn't shine through when used alongside American hops.

Nothing wrong with it but I've found with continental and many UK hops you don't get the same intensity of flavour, compared to US/Aus/NZ hops, even when they use similar descriptors

I found them piney too, they were alright I was a lucky one a fw years ago to win a load of slovenian hops.. Dana, Styrian Wolfe and styrian Cascade were my favs

I used this hop a years or so ago. The blurb on the website touted tropical fruit flavours. I didn't get any of that and I think it didn't shine through when used alongside American hops.

Nothing wrong with it but I've found with continental and many UK hops you don't get the same intensity of flavour, compared to US/Aus/NZ hops, even when they use similar descriptors
Cascade is one of my favourite hops, and up until recently I have had consistent results from it as a flavour and aroma hop. However I used a batch from CML (5.1%AA) and it turned out nothing like previous Cascade I have used, no citrus at all, more like Styrian Goldings, and was completely unexpected. At the time it made me think CML had got the hops mixed up, but they hadn't, as I found out after talking to them. Which does demonstrate that there can be major differences across a hop variety not only in %AA but flavour as well.

Latest posts

Back