My kegorator build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh i managed to get a similar fridge in good nick off facebook market place for £70 plus delivery. This was just before the lockdown came in though so it would be tricky to do that now i guess.

I'm thinking on the line ,i'd like to re-use the pressure barrels instead of laying out extra cost for corny kegs i have 3 normal 5 gal PB's and one 5 gal King Keg PB top poor at the min plus bottles which i have collected or been given over the past months ,i know the regulators can be set/ adjusted to suit ,but need to find a connector for the pin valves ,(from regulator valve to pin valve) i know you can get a connector for the larger hand held gas canister to regulator then to corny keg ,the next step is the gas bottles to keg .
I've been brewing a good few months now seem to know what i'm doing with shop bought brews ,not had a bad batch yet ,i don't want to get caught out in summer with warm beer so i'm looking to take the next step DIY kegorator like your self.
Any help will be appreciated .
HAPPY BREWING AND STAY SAFE acheers.

I'll start by saying i am no expert on PBs

However it would seem from a quick read around that they are not really ideal to be hooked up to a pressure system.

If it goes wrong it could be messy and dangerous.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53889
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/connecting-pub-gas-to-pressure-barrels.30054/
I would be inclined to acquire yourself a nice big fridge and just keep using your PBs as you already are just with them in the fridge,

You could then start work to slowly as finances allow convert it to a kegorator, installing taps and a temp controller, then as your PBs start to fail or get leaks replace them with cornys and you would just have to set up the gas side.

One other option would be to buy some new lids without valves and retrofit them with theese

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/11021952088
Theese are the valves from a corny so then its simple to connect it up to a standard regulator with quick disconnects
You would then have a sort of makeshift keg. Although I'm not so sure this is the best idea.

Edited a link that wasn't working properly

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys i know the PBS are rated up to 15 psi but with ,i'm thinking of using a small gas canister Larger than soda stream not as big as a pub ) with regulator set at approx 5 psi or lower or enough to push beer through lines and keep constant pressure in the barrel, i have found that pressurising with priming and with CO2 cartridges when pressure drops due to usage carbonation drops as well so a constant pressure may stop this ,i am currently sourcing materials ,female nut and tail from pin valve then pipe to regulator then gas canister or convert with a new lid to ball lock put either gas reservoir or use regulators on each barrel (start with one and if it works ok expand to the rest of the kegs )
I will probably go to corney and a kegorator eventually as and when i don't know as my 4 barrel are not that old,and at £4-£5 for gas at a time and some times 2 have to be used due to gas escaping and they some times don't seal ,it can be quite expensive,so if my plan works it will save money in the end.I also get the excuse to build a bar in the shed lol
I think i will trial with water first,to be safe ,once again thanks for the info and links athumb..acheers.

Are the all running from secondary regulators? That's some impressive set up if I'm reading that right! I made my first one from a 2and hand fridge. Not big enough for 4 kegs unfortunately but it's good to know I can upgrade!

I use a magnetic tool tray for a drip tray.
£15 for a set of 4 on Amazon 👍

I use a magnetic tool tray for a drip tray.
£15 for a set of 4 on Amazon 👍

Awesome tip, for some reason drip trays tend to be more expensive than I would expect,

Also yes they are all running from seconderys, I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out

Cheers

Awesome tip, for some reason drip trays tend to be more expensive than I would expect,

Also yes they are all running from seconderys, I'm pretty happy with how this has turned out

Cheers
Yesh I thought they were too expensive for what they were. I was prepared to pay £35 for one but they were out of stock. The magnetic tray is a lot easier to clean. Just take it to the sink 👍

Great job, just in the process of going over to Corny Kegs and planning on building a kegerator so your post has inspired me, any tips on where to get a good price on a CO2 Regulator and did you source most parts from Ebay or elsewhere?

Great job, just in the process of going over to Corny Kegs and planning on building a kegerator so your post has inspired me, any tips on where to get a good price on a CO2 Regulator and did you source most parts from Ebay or elsewhere?

I got all of mine from The Malt Miller. Martin there taught me how it all goes together so I knew what I was doing when I got home.

Yes the vast majority of eBay.

I have this primary

Screenshot_20200411-115049_eBay.jpg

Although I got it from a different seller for about £ 45

Seconderys where the only thing I didn't get from eBay, thanks to some top advice from this forum this is what I got,

https://rlbs.ltd.uk/v3002g-secondar...ith-pass-through-wall-mount-with-1-gauge.html.

Lot of stuff came from China or overseas so was a little wait but I was not in any real hurry as it was still cool enough the garage to serve my beer.

This is a great build, just done mine today but on a smaller scale! I saw you made a shelf for the kegs. Do you think the glass shelf would be strong enough to hold 2 full kegs or is a shelf a must?

This is a great build, just done mine today but on a smaller scale! I saw you made a shelf for the kegs. Do you think the glass shelf would be strong enough to hold 2 full kegs or is a shelf a must?
I'm not sure, and that is the exact reason I made one from wood.

Two full kegs combined will total over 50kg so I wouldn't want to risk it.

Latest posts

Back