My "Kit Cider" how to.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do i keep it at the same warm brewing temp for this part please ?

Secondary:

Sterilise secondary vessel along with all syphoning equipment.
Transfer the contents into a clean/sterile secondary vessel being careful not to suck up too much of the dead yeast on the bottom.
Empty the contents of the flavour pouch into the secondary and give a thorough stir, while trying not to splash too much. Make sure the flavour is mixed well then re-seal for another 14 days minimum (I tend to go for a month or 2 here).

Great guide Scott! I brewed this on 26/09/16, used 1500g granulated sugar, 3l of apple juice brewed to 23l.
O.G 1050
F.G 1000
2 weeks primary @ 22C
2 weeks secondary @ 20C
Batch primed with 225G granulated sugar for bottling
Been bottled nearly 6 weeks and it tastes great. I'm surprised how sweet this has turned out. Mixed berry has come through nicely. It looks great in the glass, nice fizz and a thin white heat down to the bottom which I've never seen on a cider before. Most importantly the MRS loves it. Very happy Indeed!
What's a 'thin white heat' fella ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

What's a 'thin white heat' fella ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

white heat
n.
1. The temperature or physical condition of a white-hot substance.
2. Intense emotion or excitement: working at white heat to make the deadline

I meant head:doh:

Thanks

Originally Posted by Jakeyboi
Great guide Scott! I brewed this on 26/09/16, used 1500g granulated sugar, 3l of apple juice brewed to 23l.
O.G 1050
F.G 1000
2 weeks primary @ 22C
2 weeks secondary @ 20C
Batch primed with 225G granulated sugar for bottling
Been bottled nearly 6 weeks and it tastes great. I'm surprised how sweet this has turned out. Mixed berry has come through nicely. It looks great in the glass, nice fizz and a thin white heat down to the bottom which I've never seen on a cider before. Most importantly the MRS loves it. Very happy Indeed!

Ok so the cider is now sat in secondary been sat for 4 days since transferring from primary bucket,one thing though it does smell of sulphur is this normal ?
i have it in fermenting bucket that was very well sterilized and the lid is sealed ,i just lifted the lid slightly as it was bulging a lot that's when i got a whiff.
its sat at a constant 21c .

Ok so the cider is now sat in secondary been sat for 4 days since transferring from primary bucket,one thing though it does smell of sulphur is this normal ?
i have it in fermenting bucket that was very well sterilized and the lid is sealed ,i just lifted the lid slightly as it was bulging a lot that's when i got a whiff.
its sat at a constant 21c .

Yes, it will fade with time.

Sorry for all the newbie questions but my cider is on its secondary and i have it sealed in a fermenting bin ,i noticed the lid keeps bulging and i lift it to release the gas should i have an airlock in the lid like the primary uses ?

Sorry for all the newbie questions but my cider is on its secondary and i have it sealed in a fermenting bin ,i noticed the lid keeps bulging and i lift it to release the gas should i have an airlock in the lid like the primary uses ?

It sounds like there is still a bit of fermentation going on. Should be fine to leave as it is as long as it's near the end of fermentation.

Most ciders take less time than beers around 6-10 days, dont rush any beers or cider, leave it an extra week or so (two wont hurt) in the secondary, dont keep poking your nose in , it will be nicely clear and you will be sure on the fermentation being finished, then bottle. The best Cider kit is the Ciderworks Apple , the Apple and Elderflower is also very nice , i brew it a touch short at 21ltr its an Excellent rich apple cider better than the commercial stuff. Just dont rush it, 2 week fermenting -2 weeks sitting in secondary 2 - weeks carbonating then some were cold for a month. you will have a cracking drink. You give this kit a whirl the others cant compere.

Ok so bit of a late update ,just finished this batch followed to the letter and it was fantastic ,friends could not believe it was homebrew ....
just started another of the same recipe,one thing though the start Sg was 1055 not 1048 why could this be ? i took the reading just before i sealed the lid to ferment.

Ok so bit of a late update ,just finished this batch followed to the letter and it was fantastic ,friends could not believe it was homebrew ....
just started another of the same recipe,one thing though the start Sg was 1055 not 1048 why could this be ? i took the reading just before i sealed the lid to ferment.

did you try the ciderworks kit or are you still using apple juice

Hi there. I'm no expert but are you not supposed to take a SG hydrometer reading before adding the yeast. I'm not sure and do not know if this would fudge the reading. Taking it after adding yeast.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

did you try the ciderworks kit or are you still using apple juice
apple juice just as my last batch.
and yes i took the reading just after stiring in the yeast. could be the issue..
i would normally take it before adding but i only remembered just before popping the lid on.:doh:

apple juice just as my last batch.
and yes i took the reading just after stiring in the yeast. could be the issue..
i would normally take it before adding but i only remembered just before popping the lid on.:doh:
No worries. At least you know your around the standard ballpark SG. It's just for a more accurate ABV % when fermented out. Hope all goes well with it. I might do a few TC's soon. Blow some heads off. Lol

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Update on the current batch of this ,all fermented very well after a couple of days of stood inactive.anyway final sg give a ABV of 7.74 % so no idea why so strong .
its been in the second stage for a week now and is not clearing at all,the last batch cleared in about this length of time.could this be the temp where its stood ? about 24-26c
i am thinking of moving it to the garage a bit cooler for another week before i bottle it.

Update on the current batch of this ,all fermented very well after a couple of days of stood inactive.anyway final sg give a ABV of 7.74 % so no idea why so strong .
its been in the second stage for a week now and is not clearing at all,the last batch cleared in about this length of time.could this be the temp where its stood ? about 24-26c
i am thinking of moving it to the garage a bit cooler for another week before i bottle it.

Have you tasted it ??? 24-26 c is not good it could have started producing fusel alcohol. just taste it and let us know if theres any solvent , nail varnish smell or taste.

Back