My Longest Brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMeHappy

Beer today, gone tomorrow
Reaction score
I'm sure I'm no record breaker for primary fermentation, but I have a demijohn of turbo cider still bubbling away after 6 weeks in my usual place which is sat constantly about 20 Deg all year round. The airlock is still doing less than every 60 seconds and I can see the bubbles rising.

Usually it is done in 2 weeks or less. The only thing I did different this time was to use some bread yeast as I only had a tiny bit of cider yeast and couldn't be bothered do go back upstairs to get some more.

At this rate, it's going to be probably 7 plus weeks before it's done. On the plus side, it is crystal clear athumb..

still bubbling away after 6 weeks in my usual place
Usually it is done in 2 weeks
I only had a tiny bit of cider yeast and couldn't be bothered do go back upstairs to get some more.

A perfect example of why not to use bread yeast in home brew ;)

Hehe. I don't understand though, bread only takes 4 hours to make.

Well, it was still going yesterday when I had a quick look but I'll have a look again later and see how often the airlock goes. I'm half tempted to pop some more cider yeast in to get it over and done with!

It goes alright but that's not the problem its the fact that a simple sneeze will ofshoot the clearing for weeks.

Back