My new favourite hop.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
I knew it would be good whilst it was still fermenting but now it’s ready, just about, to taste. I bittered my 23 l with 20g of EKG and split 100g of my flavouring hop into 4, adding at 15, 10, 5 mins and flameout. If you like citra, Amarillo, centennial and the like you’ll go gaga for EKUANOT. Give it a try and don’t blame me if you never want to drink anything else😀:beer1:

Recently had a beer at vibrant forest brewery with Sabro and Ekuanot. I wasn’t keen, got a funny taste I can only describe as hot plastic or chemical. Swmbo got some burnt flavours.

Phenolic?

Obvs, not from Ekuanot......

Their other beers were great though!

I knew it would be good whilst it was still fermenting but now it’s ready, just about, to taste. I bittered my 23 l with 20g of EKG and split 100g of my flavouring hop into 4, adding at 15, 10, 5 mins and flameout. If you like citra, Amarillo, centennial and the like you’ll go gaga for EKUANOT. Give it a try and don’t blame me if you never want to drink anything else😀:beer1:

Yeah Ekuanot is up there with my favourites too. Made some lovely beers with it.

Ekuanot is definitely a marmite hop. Some of my friends can’t taste the green pepper thing it’s got going on. It ruined several beers for me. Not my favourite.

Interesting points. I’m just drinking a bottle and it’s right up there for me. Maybe it’s like a lot of the Isley malts. I love ‘em, many can’t stand them.

very timely! I will be using it for the first time tommorrow. Magnum and mosaic in boil and lots of ekuanot and citra in whirlpool and dry hop.

i have also got some amarrillo that I was going to use but it’s also needEd for the next one. So might leave it out.

Ekuanot is definitely a marmite hop. Some of my friends can’t taste the green pepper thing it’s got going on. It ruined several beers for me. Not my favourite.

i Read about those green pepper flavours. I Am hoping I won’t notice them as this recipe is based on the sourcery pale ale, and I don’t get it from that.

i Read about those green pepper flavours. I Am hoping I won’t notice them as this recipe is based on the sourcery pale ale, and I don’t get it from that.
If I open a bag of ekuanot and stick my nose in, I can smell green peppers. Everyone has different perceptions of flavour. My dad can’t taste diacetyl, whereas I can smell it in a pint from about 3 foot. It might be that some years are worse than others for the pepper thing too. Hops can vary a lot from year to year.

If I open a bag of ekuanot and stick my nose in, I can smell green peppers. Everyone has different perceptions of flavour. My dad can’t taste diacetyl, whereas I can smell it in a pint from about 3 foot. It might be that some years are worse than others for the pepper thing too. Hops can vary a lot from year to year.

just opened bag and thought it was quite subtle compared to the mosaic and citra it will be joining. Luckily I don’t pick up green peppers though.

I don’t get the green pepper thing in the finished ale. Next brew I’m bittering with EKG and combining EKUANOT with Mosaic.😋

Just sipping my first beer using this and it is maybe the best beer, at least in terms of juiciness, that I’ve made. Think the London fog yeast helped. Slightly hazy but not NEIPA but really tasty. Gonna be using this hop a lot!

Last edited:
I experimented with some ekuanot in a lemon & ginger ale, it seemed like a good idea at the time but sadly the flavours didn't work together. Im not sure if the off flavour was down to the hops or the simply ginger beer that I had pimped.

Based upon other peoples reactions to my brews, I can safely say that the "C" hops (& simcoe) always get the best responses, especially citra.

Back