My new toy!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just ordered one of these cleaning devices - thanks for bringing them to my attention. As much as the DIY option is a good idea, I need to put any spare time and energy into the brewing at the moment, so am happy to fork out the extra, even though it leavs me having to wait until next month to get the other bits of equipment on my wishlist. Honestly, cleaning kegs is my joint-top least favourite bit of brewing (the other is chilling using an immersion chiller).
Hoping ot goes out for a Saturday delivery so I can use it on Sunday.
Go for it, I only made my own because I have a garage full of stuff that I can't throw away 'just in case' otherwise the cost of bits and sourcing them would probably work out the same possibly even more, and with a good cleaner this kit make's life so much easier, I also save my water from the chiller on a brew day and use it for cleaning

Wouldn't that score up the inside of a PET FV though? Or at least have the potential to.
It would - which is why I use SS …

… and if I had a PET FV I would use something softer than tie-wraps. e.g. thick string with a knot on the end.

I also wouldn’t use my tap water ‘cos it’s so hard it leaves a coating of calcium wherever we leave water to dry naturally. e.g. shower, windows, sinks etc.

I am not sure what is so hard about cleaning kegs etc.

I give it a blast with the hose pipe to remove crud. Then soak with my preferred cleaner for 10 minutes. And then rinse. Nice clean equipment no effort

Agree for kegs, but my chubby PET fermenter has a narrow neck that you can't get your hand in. I've tried the hose pipe in it - even held the end so the water coming out the end is more violent, but it's not good enough to clear the sticky krausen line that's been sat for 2 weeks fermenting. And no chemical I've tried will shift it. If you've ever tried cleaning a chubby you'd understand :D

I give it a blast with the hose pipe to remove crud. Then soak with my preferred cleaner for 10 minutes. And then rinse. Nice clean equipment no effort
The problem with that, you have to strip them(kegs) down every now and then. Due to some nasties can be left in the dip tube and at the poppets.
I've never took apart my new kegs, and I using them for over a year right now.

Agree for kegs, but my chubby PET fermenter has a narrow neck that you can't get your hand in. I've tried the hose pipe in it - even held the end so the water coming out the end is more violent, but it's not good enough to clear the sticky krausen line that's been sat for 2 weeks fermenting. And no chemical I've tried will shift it. If you've ever tried cleaning a chubby you'd understand :D
Don't have a chubby but got a fermentasarus which as narrow neck, and a brewzilla (wide neck). I use the hose gun on jet setting get everything out of the fermenter. Doesn't budge the dark stains in the keg but sodium percarbonate removes everything else

The problem with that, you have to strip them(kegs) down every now and then. Due to some nasties can be left in the dip tube and at the poppets.
I've never took apart my new kegs, and I using them for over a year right now.

Surely this the same for any cleaning device.

Don't have a chubby but got a fermentasarus which as narrow neck, and a brewzilla (wide neck). I use the hose gun on jet setting get everything out of the fermenter. Doesn't budge the dark stains in the keg but sodium percarbonate removes everything else

Surely this the same for any cleaning device.

Perhaps you have a better hose. Mine won't aim to the right place to clean it all properly. Hence why I bought this cos I was sick of struggling.

It is tedious but I would foresee this just becoming another tedious exercise. Flush out with cleaner, rinse, rinse again, rinse again, flush out with sanitiser. I wish I had one of these when I owned a Fermentasaurus, would have stopped me using water that was too hot and warping/destroying the FV. Although I do like the idea of giving the dip tube a proper clean 🤔

The advantage of a bucket blaster type cleaner is that is uses a lot less cleaning material. My home made one uses 7 litres of cleaning solution to cover all parts of a fermenter or keg. To soak my fermenters would use 35 litres.

Because it has disconnects to push the cleaning fluid etc through the posts and down the diptubes athumb..
But is the o-ring on the poppet going to be completely cleaned? If I pour oxy into my keg, put the lid on and invert it, I wouldn't be confident the posts were 100% cleaned. Hence why the advice from just about everyone is to strip the posts completely and soak in PBW.

The kegland bucket blaster has a couple of tubes with gas and liquid connectors on as well as tube to wash the keg. That way it flushes through the posts as well. A little modification to add.

Time to give it a go
20220808_092650.jpg

Just cleaned 5 kegs with this now. I'm going to be honest in my review:

Positives
  • Cleaning multiple kegs/items feels a lot easier, using the same cleaning solution for each.

Negatives
  • The flow to the disconnects is non-existant, even once you've managed to remove all the kinks
  • The kinks in the tube are a pita to prevent.

Conclusion
Because I had 5 to clean, I do think it was easier with this gadget. Would I get it out and set it up to clean a single keg? No.
Would I recommend it? Only if you have multiple items to clean at once.
One of the disconnects also disintegrated on the second keg. Luckily I have spares.

For some strange reason, having filled with water to do the rinsing, I decided to plug the pump in and turn on the socket. Don't do that. It results in a very wet kitchen :doh:

Latest posts

Back