My New Website

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking back through my records I see that I didn't change over to metric until two years after I'd moved to France. Nothing to do with being European, but more to do with the two different gallon measures in different recipes. In a pub here, it's usual to ask for "une pinte" (de bière) if you want a half litre of draught.
And, while I come to think of it, it's not unusual to order wood at a sawmill in pouces (inches), even if the length is in metres.

it's not unusual to order wood at a sawmill in pouces (inches),
French bagpipes are described by pouces too, the length of the chanter, rather than the note it plays. This is a typical French bagpipe by the way though there are lots of different types in case anyone is wondering what the French are doing playing bagpipes.

L'instrument chateau.jpg

I work in test labs where we have to drop boxes from a certain height. The worksheets for some jobs specify 914.4 mm, which we have to measure using a Stanley flexible rule. Bit of a challenge until the penny dropped that it was just converted from 36 inches.

Hi Clint know where your coming from still order maggots , casters, hemp , etc in pints, but still think of money in old pre decimalisation, don’t think a lot of folks realise how much we were ripped off, when you consider 75 p was 15 shillings back then and a pint was twelve pennies, ( a shilling) now 5p, easy have a decent night out with the old ten Bob note, ( 50p now ) must admit the beer seems a lot better now days , I was brought up in Nottinghamshire and was mostly supping shipstones, bitter , home ales, and was partial to a pint of mixed. Never heard of constipation back then , shipstones soon sorted you out. 😂😂😂🍻

As George Bernard Shaw once said "the British and Americans are two peoples divided by a common language." I am comfortable with what I do and others feel the same way. I want to thank all of you who have visited my CRESCENT CITY BREW TALK website. For the last several days, most views have come from the UK. I am surprized and flattered that I've been getting hits from all over Europe.

Even with the differences in metric, Imperial and US measurements, we're all trying to brew better beer. I suppose that's the way it should be.

Someone stated that recipes taste better when brewed in metric. That's a concept I'll have to try ;>)

Hi Clint know where your coming from still order maggots , casters, hemp , etc in pints, but still think of money in old pre decimalisation, don’t think a lot of folks realise how much we were ripped off, when you consider 75 p was 15 shillings back then and a pint was twelve pennies, ( a shilling) now 5p, easy have a decent night out with the old ten Bob note, ( 50p now ) must admit the beer seems a lot better now days , I was brought up in Nottinghamshire and was mostly supping shipstones, bitter , home ales, and was partial to a pint of mixed. Never heard of constipation back then , shipstones soon sorted you out. 😂😂😂🍻
Live on the edge of the then Shippos delivery boundary. I can remember a clear pint with what I assumed was lumps of flocculated yeast flouting up and down in the beer. Constipation was deffo not problem then!

Latest posts

Back