My small scale hop growing setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDHIPA

Reaction score
The finished hop trellis at my allotment! It was relatively inexpensive but quite a lot of work and planning and soil prep e.t.c

For anyone wishing to grow hops I can’t recommend the following book enough: “The Hop Grower's Handbook: The Essential Guide for Sustainable, Small-Scale Production for Home and Market” By Laura Ten Eyck

I have planted 3 x Centennial and 2 x Chinook

F944DD8C-626E-4272-A603-CAF8F14DFE82.jpeg

If anyone has any questions regarding growing hops on a small scale or about my experience getting set up please fire away as it has so far been very satisfying and a lot of fun!

stay safe everyone

Have you done just recently or already for a couple of years?

1613906952187.png

This is the plant from a member of the Flemish homebrew forum.

Have you done just recently or already for a couple of years?

View attachment 41849
This is the plant from a member of the Flemish homebrew forum.
This is my first year growing, not expecting much of a yield this year but fingers crossed in 2/3 years time my hearvest will be close to that picture! It looks glorious!

I can see a small problem with your setup - your different varieties of hop are going to intermingle on such a low trellis so you won't be able to pick single variety hops.
I use about 15 foot high hop poles in my garden and I still spend half the summer untangling stray hop bines that are reaching across from one plant to another.

I can see a small problem with your setup - your different varieties of hop are going to intermingle on such a low trellis so you won't be able to pick single variety hops.
I use about 15 foot high hop poles in my garden and I still spend half the summer untangling stray hop bines that are reaching across from one plant to another.
I had to work with what I had unfortunately, but Each length of coir is over 12ft and each bine is 4ft apart so fingers crossed I will be able to keep the majority of the bines separate!

Mine mixed up a bit last year. I think I probably could have distinguished them as they had a slightly different appearances and ripened at slightly different times. I didn’t really care I was so excited to get so many. I mixed them up and had my own blend- which I am working my way through. Revolutionises the cost of a brew when you aren’t paying to make them really hoppy.

Latest posts

Back