my wife flushes!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westphalian

Reaction score
hi all. first question on forum. retired and decided to take up home brewing more seriously than the annual cider making I have been doing with my apples each autumn.
For the past 10 years or so my wife has developed an unpleasant facial flush with most wines and ciders (not beer or spirits). I have assumed it is sulphites ( she has no other allergy symptoms) and so have not been using sulphites in my small batch of home cider, drinking it quickly (usually before xmas). she can drink my home brew cider as well as certain Proseccos (even though the label says contains sulphites but I have assumed not as much as the culprits).
So with my up and coming wine making I will be using sulphites, my question is, do any members have any similar experience with this flushing and have you managed to get around it?

Welcome Westphalian,
The Wise One starts giggling as a prelude to falling over in a catatonic trance. No flushing, though.
BUT. I have seen the effect on those who are allergic to -SO3: it's runny, swollen eyes and a runny nose.

Welcome Westphalian,
The Wise One starts giggling as a prelude to falling over in a catatonic trance. No flushing, though.
BUT. I have seen the effect on those who are allergic to -SO3: it's runny, swollen eyes and a runny nose.
cheers but flushing is her only symptom, no runny nose etc. I imagine its a chemical effect causing vasodilation. certainly antihistamines have not helped.

Latest posts

Back