MyQul's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fancied making an ESB today. The last one I made, a couple of years ago went horribly wrong

ESB 10L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 9.1 (EBC): 18.0
Bitterness (IBU): 37.7 (Average)

2kg Golden Promise Malt
195g Flaked Barley
130g Crystal 60
8g Roasted Barley

14g Challenger (8.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
4g Hallertau Mittlefrueh (4.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
4g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
4g Challenger (8.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C (ish) with Gales yeast

Myqul, are u ok? - it's over 5%, not trying to steal my thunder ? ;)

I've been brewing lower abv brews recently, maybe we'll meet in the middle! :cheers7:

Just opened the sack of 10kg Irish lager malt I bought from HBC to discover Ive accidently bought crushed instead of uncrushed.

Having done a bit of googling to see how long crush malt lasts, it seems I ideally need to use it in about a month. I was hope this purchase of base malt was going to last me about 3 months (supplimented with other malts bought from a LHBS) GGGGrrr!!

Having done a bit more reading, If I stick it in some zip lock bags,it should be fine for the 3 months or so I was hoping to make it last.
I know malt miller will sell a 25kg sack bagged up into smaller amount (for a bit of extra cost). Does anyone buy their base grain like this, and how long does a sack last you?

I buy my grain 25kg crushed .
Sealed bin, cold place , I’ve had last batch 3 months and no off flavours last brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I buy my grain 25kg crushed .
Sealed bin, cold place , I’ve had last batch 3 months and no off flavours last brew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great. Thanks pvt. I keep my grain in a big 60L blue barrel thing, in zip lock bags(for specialty grains, and just in the sack for base malt). Unfortunately I have nowhere to keep it cool but milled grain lasts months and months in their. So I'm hoping if I keep the crushed lager malt in zip lock bags too, it will last about 3 months

I've used 25kg of pale in a few months and 5kg of lager malt..got another 5kg of lager to use plus various crystal,carapils,dark stuff etc. All seems to keep very well. Anything opened I reseal with a plastic tape.

I'm going to make this later. I nomally use Magnum for bittering but I wanted to see what it tastes like in a later addition. Brulosophy used it for a later additon for his hop chronicals and concluded "A great easy drinking beer, but not exactly what I would want from a Pale Ale. It might work well as the primary hop in a pale lager, but based on this experience,...."

http://brulosophy.com/2017/02/02/the-hop-chronicles-magnum/

Which is exactly what I want because if I like it I might replace the Saaz and H.Mittelfrauh in my Bike Pirate Blonde with Magnum and enable me to save a bit of money by bulk buying magnum

Magnum Blonde 6L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.03 %
Colour (SRM): 2.6 (EBC): 5.2
Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Average)

1kg Lager Malt
100g Flaked Barley

2.6g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
5.2g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
5.2g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes (ish). Boil for 30 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C with Safale US-05

It'll be interesting to see what you report back as YCH Hops provide this info on their website, "Magnum does not display any distinct aroma characteristics, however, subtle spice and fruit characteristics have been noted by some brewers."

Does have much aroma out of the packet?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see what you report back as YCH Hops provide this info on their website, "Magnum does not display any distinct aroma characteristics, however, subtle spice and fruit characteristics have been noted by some brewers."

According to the brulosophy link, I should get spicy/herbal, floral and pine flavours

Does have much aroma out of the packet?

The krausen took ages to drop on this brew, but I finally took a gravity reading yeasterday and had a taste. The YCH description perfectly describes what I tasted, subtle spice and fruit, with an ephasis on subtle. Im not that good a describing tastes but to me it tasted like a suble saaz flavour. Definately lager like but subtle. I report back again when I've packaged and conditioned a bit.

Magnum definately has an aroma out of the packet. Nice but not that pungent. Subtle like the flavour I tasted in the beer

I fancied making an ESB today. The last one I made, a couple of years ago went horribly wrong

ESB 10L

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 9.1 (EBC): 18.0
Bitterness (IBU): 37.7 (Average)

2kg Golden Promise Malt
195g Flaked Barley
130g Crystal 60
8g Roasted Barley

14g Challenger (8.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
4g Hallertau Mittlefrueh (4.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
4g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
4g Challenger (8.5% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C (ish) with Gales yeast

Well, this has turned out to be a fantastic beer. The Gales yeast is definetely the star of the show. I've used it in lower gravity bitters and one golden ale, but it shines in a stronger beer. I've read that Gales HSB has dundee cake (which I believe to be a fruit cake) flavours in the beer, which it definetely has. But my ordinary bitters didnt have any of this flavour. Nice fruity ester flavour from the yeast but no fruit cake flavours. But with the ESB it defianately has those fruit cake flavours. Rich and fruity. I'm making this beer again today (might tweek the hops a bit though)

The krausen took ages to drop on this brew, but I finally took a gravity reading yeasterday and had a taste. The YCH description perfectly describes what I tasted, subtle spice and fruit, with an ephasis on subtle. Im not that good a describing tastes but to me it tasted like a suble saaz flavour. Definately lager like but subtle. I report back again when I've packaged and conditioned a bit.

Magnum definately has an aroma out of the packet. Nice but not that pungent. Subtle like the flavour I tasted in the beer

So Ive just cracked a bottle of this open. It tastes like a more floral version of saaz. Kind of like a saaz/ekg cross. Very nice.

Latest posts

Back