MyQul's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished now. Took me two hours tops. I didnt bother timing the mash, I think it was about 40 mins. I just put it on and waited for Mrs MQ to go out then lifted the bag and started the boil.
I'm going to do a 5L, 20min mash/20min boil, no sparge, no chill, next I think. I reckon I could do all in about 75mins start to finish

Made this yesterday

(Special/Best/Premium Bitter) 5L Stove Topper

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.010 (°P): 2.6
Alcohol (ABV): 4.03 %
Colour (SRM): 6.9 (EBC): 13.5
Bitterness (IBU): 28.7 (Tinseth)

1.50kg Pale Malt
64g Crystal 60
61g Biscuit

6g First Gold (6.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
5g First Gold (6.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
5g First Gold (6.8% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 16°C with Gayles yeast strain

And am currently making this today

Steam Pseudo Lager 5L Stove Topper

Colour (SRM): 4.1 (EBC): 8.1
Bitterness (IBU): 20.4 (Tinseth)

1kg Lager Malt
125g Cara Blonde
125g Munich I

3.1g Styrian Dana (10.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
4.3g Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 16°C with Mangrove Jacks Californian Common Yeast

When you do your 5L batches what do you tend to end up with as a bottling volume? Do you fill a mini keg or do you get a bit of loss in the FV? As an aside what do you use as a FV for these batches? I'm massively struggling for time and space to brew at the moment and smaller batches is quite an attractive thought so keen to understand your process

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you do your 5L batches what do you tend to end up with as a bottling volume? Do you fill a mini keg or do you get a bit of loss in the FV? As an aside what do you use as a FV for these batches? I'm massively struggling for time and space to brew at the moment and smaller batches is quite an attractive thought so keen to understand your process

I usually end up with six or seven 500ml bottles (but sometimes I use 330ml bottles of 1L Growlers instead). With these small batches I have noticed I lose a lot more to trub than if I did a full 23L batch. I could of course do say 7L and that would probably give me enough to fill a mini keg which would then save loads of time on bottling day as MK are so much quicker to fill. But Im fine with just using bottles at the mo.

I bought some 5L buckets from herehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381353422181?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650547896357&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (although I already had 2 x 5L buckets from balihoo home brew) as you can see they're really cheap

Today's and yesterdays brew, I had enough time today to do a full hour mash/boil (well actually I only did a 40 min mash today because I was getting bored) but something I've yet to try is a 20 or 30 min mash/boil. I've read that there is zero down side to doing this apart from perhaps the long term storage isnt as stable but seeing as you're only making a few bottles I dont think this is a problem. Also of course you need more hops at the start of the boil if only boiling for 20 or 30 mins. Doing this I think I could knock out a brew in about 75 mins as heating up the mash water and the wort to boiling point only takes me about 10 -15 mins each.

I dont do a sparge so add 25% more grain to counteract this, so this saves more time. But today I've just discovered I get 85% efficiencey with my mill and the new irish ale malt I've just bought so will probably stop adding the extra 25%. Clean up is really fast too of course.

I'm really loving these stove toppers. Might do another one tommorow :mrgreen:

Edit: Also I no-chill, saves more time with faffing about cooling it in the sink with sinkfuls of water and ice

You could also add some DME/LME to a 5L brew to make a partial mash to bring it up to a longer brewlength if 5L isnt enough for you

If these 5L stove toppers still sound like something you'd be interested in doing lt me know and I do a step by step guide

Thanks a lot. I love the idea of getting a brew done so quickly and with small batches you can try lots of different things. Those buckets look great too, and give flexibility on batch size. Great info, cheers!

Thanks a lot. I love the idea of getting a brew done so quickly and with small batches you can try lots of different things. Those buckets look great too, and give flexibility on batch size. Great info, cheers!

Thats the other thing about these smaller batches if you get bored easily of the same beer you can make all kinds of styles or varations on a style. As well as it makes you not afraid to experiment. If your marmite and banana saison doesnt taste quite like what you imagined it to be like, you havent got another 22.5L of it to drink

Thats the other thing about these smaller batches if you get bored easily of the same beer you can make all kinds of styles or varations on a style. As well as it makes you not afraid to experiment. If your marmite and banana saison doesnt taste quite like what you imagined it to be like, you havent got another 22.5L of it to drink

You either love it or hate it!

Edit: Also I no-chill, saves more time with faffing about cooling it in the sink with sinkfuls of water and ice

If these 5L stove toppers still sound like something you'd be interested in doing lt me know and I do a step by step guide

I'm following your brewdays thread with real interest @MyQul as I only have a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit at the moment which means I can only make a US gallon (3.79 litres) although I do intend buying another demijohn of either 4.5 or 5litre capacity.
Anyway back on topic :thumb: What do you mean by no-chill? Surely you need to chill before pitching the yeast?

I'm following your brewdays thread with real interest @MyQul as I only have a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit at the moment which means I can only make a US gallon (3.79 litres) although I do intend buying another demijohn of either 4.5 or 5litre capacity.
Anyway back on topic :thumb: What do you mean by no-chill? Surely you need to chill before pitching the yeast?

No chill means just letting the wort cool naturally. I just pour the wort through a sieve to strain the hops out, into the fv. Then cover with cling film held on with an elastic band. Then leave it over night to cool.

No chill means just letting the wort cool naturally. I just pour the wort through a sieve to strain the hops out, into the fv. Then cover with cling film held on with an elastic band. Then leave it over night to cool.

Ah OK and cheers. Am I mistaken as I thought it was advisable to cool the wort as quick as possible?

ideally yes. If you no chill you get chill haze (the beer goes cloudy when you put it in the fridge and clear again when it warms up. This has zero effect on flavor however)

ideally yes. If you no chill you get chill haze (the beer goes cloudy when you put it in the fridge and clear again when it warms up. This has zero effect on flavor however)
Mine seldom go in the fridge.
A while back I had a pale ale in the fridge and one which the missus scoffed on me though no haze,clear,cold and no Irish moss, gelatin, whirfloc etc.
I don't use them in my Brew and only for the first three did I use bladderwrack seaweed hand dried and blended but have never used anything since and also no chill.
Have a stout at the moment which is pitch black and bitter but nice though may cut back on the roasted barley.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

1kg Lager Malt
125g Cara Blonde
125g Munich I

Interesting gone with Czech and slovenian hops and steam yeast.. should be good.. brings the malt out a bit that yeast..

Good idea though.

Interesting gone with Czech and slovenian hops and steam yeast.. should be good.. brings the malt out a bit that yeast..

Good idea though.

I was going to go with just all saaz but found a wee bit of Dana in the freezer. Dana is a good bittering hop, high alpha and low co-humolene for smooth bittering

1kg Lager Malt
125g Cara Blonde
125g Munich I

Both sound interesting:thumb:.Did a mainly all Dana brew and it turned out really nice.
Doing a 5 litre brew up myself tomorrow:)

I have done 50\50 Dana EKG bitter which was very enjoyable
I got the hops on a bit of a whim.I then read some desparaging remarks about them and thought oh s###e!. I would certainly do a similar brew and perhaps up the late hops as well.
I know there was some talk on here re the Gale's yeast, where did you acquire that please?

Latest posts

Back