MyQul's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never used dana in much isolation its is more subtle? interesting combo with EGK.. Do you get more floralness from it?

I really like EKG but find it can over power other more subtle hops. I've found the Slovenian hops mostly to be quite subltle so couldn't really pick out a distinctive flavor when paired with EKG. Although I did find they go well together

One last question on your stove top 5L batches, do you use the Wilko 12L but really it's bigger pot? Or something similar? I assume that the sort of size you'd need to do a no sparge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last question on your stove top 5L batches, do you use the Wilko 12L but really it's bigger pot? Or something similar? I assume that the sort of size you'd need to do a no sparge

Yes, I use the wilko 12L pot. It's actually 15L to the brim so more than enough room.

Yes, I use the wilko 12L pot. It's actually 15L to the brim so more than enough room.

Perfect, thanks a lot. I've got an induction hob so I'll need to get something else but that's the size I'd need

Perfect, thanks a lot. I've got an induction hob so I'll need to get something else but that's the size I'd need

The wilko pot fits nicely in my oven so just turn the oven on to 65C then put the pot in there to maintain temp during the mash

I cant be bothered to do all the water calculations (boil off + absorbtion+brewlengh) so I just stick 4L in with the grain and mash. Then add a further 1L after th mahs is finished then boil. I usually end up with about 2.5L -3L after the boil, so just top it up to 5L in the FV.So a 15L pot is way overkill. I could get away with a 5L pot

I do my brews on the stove as well,mostly 5/6 litres. For 5 litre brew i usually mash in 5 litres,just a towel around the 10 litre pot.I heat 2.75 litres of water for dunk sparging,which has helped me getting closer to my expected OG's.
Boil the 7.75 litres up which generally gives me pretty well 5 litres in the FV.
Did a 6 litre brew today,5 litre mash and 3.5litre dunk,ended with almost spot on 6 litres in the FV:thumb:

I bought some 5L buckets from herehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381353422181?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=650547896357&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT (although I already had 2 x 5L buckets from balihoo home brew) as you can see they're really cheap

Those buckets are great, thanks for the tip. They seem to be a very good seal and thicker than the 15L Youngs ones I'd been using. The Youngs one always bulges the lid but these white ones really really bulge, which must mean that there's no other way for CO2 to escape. I did a 2 litre starter in a 5 litre bucket and it blew the lid off. They were dead cheap, I bought 3 of each in 5 and 10 litres. I'm still playing with my gear to figure out what volume I can brew with a shorter brew day, I'm thinking of not replacing my deceased sparge water heater and switching to full BIAB permanently instead, basically accepting I spend a bit more on grain to save time.

Saaz Pale Ale

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol (ABV): 4.57 %
Colour (SRM): 2.6 (EBC): 5.2
Bitterness (IBU): 20.6 (Tinseth)

1.3kg Lager Malt

3.9g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
5 Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
5 Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ Flame Out

Single step Infusion at 64.5°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at bleedin' hot°C (about 27c) with Nottingham Yeast

This is a bit of an experiment. I'm doing a 30 min mash and a 30 min boil with this stove topper. I've read it doesnt really have much, if any effect doing such a short mash/boil. I started milling the grain and doing the water acidification at about 6.15pm. I think I'll have finished by about 8.15pm (including clean up).

Saaz Pale Ale

Original Gravity (OG): 1.041 (°P): 10.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006 (°P): 1.5
Alcohol (ABV): 4.57 %
Colour (SRM): 2.6 (EBC): 5.2
Bitterness (IBU): 20.6 (Tinseth)

1.3kg Lager Malt

3.9g Magnum (11.1% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
5 Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
5 Saaz (3.4% Alpha) @ Flame Out

Single step Infusion at 64.5°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at bleedin' hot°C (about 27c) with Nottingham Yeast

This is a bit of an experiment. I'm doing a 30 min mash and a 30 min boil with this stove topper. I've read it doesnt really have much, if any effect doing such a short mash/boil. I started milling the grain and doing the water acidification at about 6.15pm. I think I'll have finished by about 8.15pm (including clean up).

You brew nearly quicker than I bottle! I think you're fine, I've heard that most of the conversion happens in the first 15 mins of the mash and because you bump up your grain a little if you lose out on a bit of conversion it's no problem. And shorter boils are definitely fine. Should be good!

You brew nearly quicker than I bottle! I think you're fine, I've heard that most of the conversion happens in the first 15 mins of the mash and because you bump up your grain a little if you lose out on a bit of conversion it's no problem. And shorter boils are definitely fine. Should be good!

I read that most of the conversion happens in about 10mins. I also read a quite big thread a while ago on home brew talk by a guy proselytsing about just doing a ten min mash! Bit short for even me but perhaps worth an experiment one day with a stove topper.

I do bump my grain by about 25% because I dont sparge with these stove toppers so they need it to get a bit better efficiency

I read that most of the conversion happens in about 10mins. I also read a quite big thread a while ago on home brew talk by a guy proselytsing about just doing a ten min mash! Bit short for even me but perhaps worth an experiment one day with a stove topper.

I do bump my grain by about 25% because I dont sparge with these stove toppers so they need it to get a bit better efficiency

300g extra grains is less than a pound, to save half and hour or more it's got to be worthwhile!

Whilst I managed to get to the stage where I can stick to the original bill but I agree throwing some extra grain is neither here or there.. I find the ease of a single stage and go so easy.. I do a mash out though, never gone without and not sure I am brave enough to try it:lol:

How come you're not using your cool bag for it?

Whilst I managed to get to the stage where I can stick to the original bill but I agree throwing some extra grain is neither here or there.. I find the ease of a single stage and go so easy.. I do a mash out though, never gone without and not sure I am brave enough to try it:lol:

How come you're not using your cool bag for it?

A) I cant be arsed doing all that ice bottle swapping just for 5L b) I had arranged with Dan125 to do a bottle swap of the notty bitter I brewed at 27C but I forgot and drank it all. So I'm doing another 'hot' brew with notty as Dan125 would like to taste the results

Latest posts

Back