N2/CO2 Stout - setup

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rento

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m looking for advice from those who have an N2/CO2 setup for their stouts. How have you got it setup? I’ve been playing around but I’m interested in those who have tried and tested process and setup!

My main questions are:
  • How do you carb your stout? I.e fast, let it sit, pressures, volumes of co2, use CO2 then move to N2 for dispense etc
  • What serving pressure are you using?
  • What line bore and length are you using?
  • are you using a stout tap?
My current keg is set to about 30psi and through my stout tap, on 1.5m of 3/8 line is putting out a little too much head, it’s nice and low carb‘d as it should be and cascades perfectly in the glass. I’m going to move to 3/16 line same as my other kegs but not sure on length. I’m starting with 2m and will go from there.

I presume co2 beer line calcs are pointless as they workout how to get to 0 (ish) at the tap and for N2 setups you want pressure at the restricter in the tap? If that is a correct assumption, any thoughts on the pressure needed for the perfect ‘Guinness‘ like pour?

Thanks.

R

I might not be much use because I have only used my my stout setup for around half a keg. I brewed the forum Christmas chocolate stout and initially had it through a stout tap but on CO2 at 12psi (I don't have a secondary reg and had an IPA on the other tap). I then decided to buy an N2 reg and bottle, I had it at around 35psi and about 1 metre of 3/16 beer line between the keg and tap and always got a decent pour. In my case the beer was carbed using set and forget on CO2 simply because I only bought the N2 equipment after starting the keg.

If you're serious about stout could you not look into ordering n2/co2 mix like pubs do? I think it's 30:70 but I may be wrong as it's been over 10 years since I was last in a pub cellar.

Back