Name for a New Pilot Nanobrewery?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these names should I go with, for my new nanobrewery?

• Betjeman's

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Cosmopolit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desi

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Despond of Slough

• Goldprick

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Grand Union/Grand Junction

• Hawker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herschel

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Punjabrew

• StabMonk

• Upton Royal

• Other (Any suggestions?)

• Total voters
Drinks Out For Harambe
"The Polar Bear" or "The Polar Beer" with an image of Nora. Nora was a baby polar bear, born in the Columbus, Ohio zoo, got a bit famous and now resides in Portland. Just a wee bit happier situation.
Fiona the baby hippo, of the Cincinnati Zoo, also became slightly famous and had quite the following across the country if not further.
"Baby Hippo Nano" if one is into such labels.

I suppose you are limited but costs are huge. And once you are licenced all your beer is subject to taxable and accountable etc. So basically you are a professional brewery, whether you make a profit or not.
But likelier than not, even if I do make a profit (which I should, given the size of the largely untapped consumer base), it still probably wouldn't be enough to support me financially. Hence conceptualizing it (for myself personally) as 'semi-pro'- acknowledging that I'll probably still have to work another part-time job at the same time to pay my way, on account of how, as you said, those costs are so huge and all.

But likelier than not, even if I do make a profit (which I should, given the size of the largely untapped consumer base), it still probably wouldn't be enough to support me financially. Hence conceptualizing it (for myself personally) as 'semi-pro'- acknowledging that I'll probably still have to work another part-time job at the same time to pay my way, on account of how, as you said, those costs are so huge and all.
Ok good luck. There will be plenty on here that will question your every decision. Don't take it as a negative, it's just we see these posts now and again and most haven't a clue how to run a brewery or a business. First rule for me would be the true demand, there might be a reason why there is no local brewery. Plus just because there isn't a brewery doesn't mean people aren't getting good quality beer

"The Polar Bear" or "The Polar Beer" with an image of Nora. Nora was a baby polar bear, born in the Columbus, Ohio zoo, got a bit famous and now resides in Portland. Just a wee bit happier situation.
Fiona the baby hippo, of the Cincinnati Zoo, also became slightly famous and had quite the following across the country if not further.
"Baby Hippo Nano" if one is into such labels.
Those would indeed be happier situations, and far more PC labels. But they wouldn't be nearly as memetic or world-famous, would they? And with 'Drinks Out For Harambe', like you said earlier, "you'd get the phonetic still but with plausible deniability", and without making it sound like a male flashers' convention in the way that it would if you used the original meme...

Ok good luck. There will be plenty on here that will question your every decision. Don't take it as a negative, it's just we see these posts now and again and most haven't a clue how to run a brewery or a business. First rule for me would be the true demand, there might be a reason why there is no local brewery. Plus just because there isn't a brewery doesn't mean people aren't getting good quality beer
True. Course, another factor's that plenty of people locally don't care all that much about good quality beer- here are a few pics, taken around 18 months ago in this town during that first lockdown, which are fairly reflective of which types of beers most of the heaviest drinkers in town are partial to:

slough-berkshire-uk-9th-july-2020-empty-beer-cans-left-by-the-jubilee-river-in-slough-berkshire-the-amount-of-litter-in-beauty-spots-has-increased-massively-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic-as-some-people-drink-more-alcohol-out-of-boredom-credit-maureen-mcleanalamy-2C6F5DP.jpg

slough-berkshire-uk-9th-july-2020-beer-cans-littered-in-the-graveyard-at-st-marys-church-in-slough-berkshire-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown-credit-maureen-mcleanalamy-2C6F5NC.jpg

slough-berkshire-uk-31st-august-2020-an-abandoned-case-rubbish-and-empty-beer-cans-litter-the-countryside-by-the-grand-union-canal-in-slough-there-has-been-an-increase-in-the-amount-of-rubbish-left-in-the-countryside-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown-credit-maureen-mcleanalamy-2CEAR4N.jpg

But there were still a few back in the day, which only went under due to the 2008 financial crisis rather than due to any lack of demand. And both of the new brewery enterprises started up locally in the general vicinity since then have been pretty successful. Granted, the number of surviving pubs in and around town, to retail cask ale through, has nosedived quite a bit. But there are still a fair few pubs left, all of which are almost always packed during peak hours now; and there are alternative routes to market which I could try and explore as well.

Have you done any swaps on the forum? I would recommend to maybe get some forum members swap feedback or maybe enter a few comps to gauge where you are at with your beers before going trying to sell your beers.
Remember. People have to be happy to spend their own money on your beer for them to be a success.

Have you done any swaps on the forum? I would recommend to maybe get some forum members swap feedback or maybe enter a few comps to gauge where you are at with your beers before going trying to sell your beers.
Remember. People have to be happy to spend their own money on your beer for them to be a success.
Not yet. Think I'm slowly getting there, but I've still been working with extremely basic equipment (i.e, the sort of starter kit described here), and I'm not quite confident enough in my skill to pitch the stuff I'm producing right now. Gonna be purchasing a proper all-in-one electric brewing system soon though, which should hopefully improve consistency, streamline the process a lot, and get me to that stage where I'm ready to do so.

Not yet. Think I'm slowly getting there, but I've still been working with extremely basic equipment (i.e, the sort of starter kit described here), and I'm not quite confident enough in my skill to pitch the stuff I'm producing right now. Gonna be purchasing a proper all-in-one electric brewing system soon though, which should hopefully improve consistency, streamline the process a lot, and get me to that stage where I'm ready to do so.
I think the gap from what you’re using and commercial brewing is a few years off to be honest. You would need to have your recipes dialled in and be able to reproduce it exactly the same time after time. I would improve your home brewing setup and work on getting your recipes and reproducibility sorted before even starting to look at a commercial option. You wouldn’t open a restaurant if you could only make cheese on toast. Maybe try building a 3 vessel home setup that’s close to a commercial brew house and get a good amount of repeated brews in to work on your control and technique. Saves you wasting £30-50k in the future.

I think the gap from what you’re using and commercial brewing is a few years off to be honest. You would need to have your recipes dialled in and be able to reproduce it exactly the same time after time. I would improve your home brewing setup and work on getting your recipes and reproducibility sorted before even starting to look at a commercial option. You wouldn’t open a restaurant if you could only make cheese on toast. Maybe try building a 3 vessel home setup that’s close to a commercial brew house and get a good amount of repeated brews in to work on your control and technique. Saves you wasting £30-50k in the future.
Well, that's the basic plan; hoping that being able to dial my recipes in and reproduce them exactly the same time after time'll go some way towards to bridging that gap, and make commercial operations viable (after I've worked on my control and techniques a fair bit more, naturally). But figured it'd be worth at least considering what name I'd do so under, even though I know I'm not ready to commence trading yet. And I've got a few personal privileges which should help down the road, if/when it'd be worthwhile to scale up operations, making outsourcing a viable lower-cost alternative to expansion on-site. Family connections can have their advantages. I'm not going to be the first in my extended family to delve into the world of commercial brewing; and I know I'm definitely not going to be the most successful...

Last edited:
Well, that's the basic plan; hoping that being able to dial my recipes in and reproduce them exactly the same time after time'll go some way towards to bridging that gap, and make commercial operations viable (after I've worked on my control and techniques a fair bit more, naturally). But figured it'd be worth at least considering what name I'd do so under, even though I know I'm not ready to commence trading yet. And I've got a few personal privileges which should help down the road, if/when it'd be worthwhile to scale up operations, making outsourcing a viable lower-cost alternative to expansion on-site. Family connections can have their advantages. I'm not going to be the first in my extended family to delve into the world of commercial brewing; and I know I'm definitely not going to be the most successful...

So why don't you out source from the beginning? Doesn't sound much of a hobby type, part time job if you are out sourcing.

I recommend you begin today emailing a load of breweries asking for work experience and then start looking for brewing courses

I think it is important to choose a name that fits with your target market and your own heritage.
It's good to see someone with Punjab heritage brewing, and I wish you the best of luck in your venture.
I love Indian food and find a good craft IPA is great with a curry, however I have yet to find curry house that sells craft beer as an alternative to Cobra or other 'Indian' lagers, so perhaps there is a gap in the market there?
I voted other as I don't think there is anything in your list that grabs me.

Like others I don't like any of the suggested names, they certainly wouldn't draw me into your micropub.
This whole idea seems half baked, opening a brewery looks like very hard work, follow this chap and you might have 2nd thoughts................

I have posted the video @YeastFace linked to below save members going off site.

I flicked through the first part and it seems some his main problems were -

Arrival of a baby

No cold storage

Demand too high to supply

Late payment.

Maybe he didn't think it through properly and would have done it differently with hindsight.

Q&A part if you haven't got 2 hours -

Full video if you have -

Last edited:
1) Black Buck's Brewery
2) The Hog Deer Brewery
3) Blue Bull Brewery

These are all found in the area of Punjab if its an animal name your thinking of
good luck with your project

I love Indian food and find a good craft IPA is great with a curry, however I have yet to find curry house that sells craft beer as an alternative to Cobra or other 'Indian' lagers, so perhaps there is a gap in the market there?
I often ask if they have any cardamom Saison in Indian restaurants but haven't been served one yet!

Latest posts

Back