Name for a New Pilot Nanobrewery?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these names should I go with, for my new nanobrewery?

• Betjeman's

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Cosmopolit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desi

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Despond of Slough

• Goldprick

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Grand Union/Grand Junction

• Hawker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herschel

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Punjabrew

• StabMonk

• Upton Royal

• Other (Any suggestions?)

• Total voters
So why don't you out source from the beginning? Doesn't sound much of a hobby type, part time job if you are out sourcing.

I recommend you begin today emailing a load of breweries asking for work experience and then start looking for brewing courses
I mean yeah, sure, I definitely could outsource from the beginning- a couple of my fourth cousins (though I've never met myself, my dad and his siblings have on a few occasions, and family does count for a lot in our culture) already provide that service to countries around the world, including the UK (to retailers like Tesco's, Lidl and Aldi, so they should definitely be competitive when it comes to pricing and profit margins).

Hell, I could just emigrate to Canada, fall upon their charity, and comfortably scrounge off of my far wealthier relatives over there, since both my paternal grandfather's and grandmother's families over there are properly loaded, and be on easy street for the rest of my life. But that's just not the sort of person I am. Where'd the fun, and the sense of pride and personal achievement, be in that? I enjoy producing stuff myself, getting my creative juices flowing.

Whilst I can admit that it'd be stupidly stubborn and self-defeatist not to tap into those connections, not to make the most of a personal advantage which precious few others in the world could call upon, I'd still want my company to be my company, you know? And ideally, I'd want to at least have some vestige of a foundation to build upon first, along with establishing a few supply chains, before putting in a commission or two with them.

Brewing courses, I could certainly look into; getting work experience at a brewery'd be a fair bit more difficult though, given the relative dearth of breweries in range which I could commute to (on my electric scooter). Suppose it's worth a try though...

I think it is important to choose a name that fits with your target market and your own heritage.
It's good to see someone with Punjab heritage brewing, and I wish you the best of luck in your venture.
I love Indian food and find a good craft IPA is great with a curry, however I have yet to find curry house that sells craft beer as an alternative to Cobra or other 'Indian' lagers, so perhaps there is a gap in the market there?
I voted other as I don't think there is anything in your list that grabs me.
Thanks for the support, the feedback, and the suggestion- that certainly sounds like it'd be an angle/niche worth looking into.

1) Black Buck's Brewery
2) The Hog Deer Brewery
3) Blue Bull Brewery

These are all found in the area of Punjab if its an animal name your thinking of
good luck with your project
Hmm. Not too sure about going with an animal name, TBH- especially seeing as how the only well-known and widely available 'Indian' lager-beer brands here in the UK are also animal names (i.e, Cobra, Kingfisher). Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, though.

I often ask if they have any cardamom Saison in Indian restaurants but haven't been served one yet!
We've just recently bought that. Neve heard of it until recently. I have my wife to thank for enlightening me.
Never heard of that until just now- thanks for that. Definitely sounds like something I'd like to try exploring though, and have a go at recreating myself; perhaps adding a couple of other alternative spices to create a couple of different types of saison?

Never heard of that until just now- thanks for that. Definitely sounds like something I'd like to try exploring though, and have a go at recreating myself; perhaps adding a couple of other alternative spices to create a couple of different types of saison?
Coriander seed is the typical Belgian beer spice, cardamom also works in Saison and so does rosemary in moderation. Grains of paradise are another spice but I've never tried that. There are likely other spices that work too.

Coriander seed is the typical Belgian beer spice, cardamom also works in Saison and so does rosemary in moderation. Grains of paradise are another spice but I've never tried that. There are likely other spices that work too.
I was wondering whether fennel seeds, particularly roasted ones (aka 'saunf' in Indian cuisine), might be a good complementary spice to try using. What do you reckon?

Desi_Rable - Side_Baler (Anagram)
Keep it about yourself as its your brewery and when someone enquires about the name tell them who you are...
Some might think there is a farming link....

Regarding the original topic of the thread though, can't go back and edit the poll to add them as options, but I've got a few other potential name ideas for consideration. I was thinking about adding either 'Highwayman' or 'Bandit' before, tying into that particular aspect of local history which was intertwined with the formerly rich local pub scene, which would also lend itself to a decent selection of good names for the brews, but couldn't decide which to add and ended up adding neither. 'Soltikoff/Soltykoff' was another name I was considering, tying a number of cultural, local and historical threads together- after the Russian traveller, writer and artist, Prince Alexis Soltykoff, aka 'The Indian' in contemporary Russian and French aristocratic circles, who invoked a surge of interest in the Sikh Empire in both Russia and France, which was a factor in prompting the reactionary response by the British (as part of 'The Great Game') which culminated in the Anglo-Sikh Wars; as well as Alexis' widow Princess Soltykoff, who resided locally, and whose residence got burgled in 1894. Or on a more personal note, what about Khalwar/Khalwara, after the village in the Phagwara enclave of Kapurthala (previously the princely state of Kapurthala, previously the Ahluwalia misl of the Sikh confederacy) where my dad and his family grew up before coming here to the UK in the 60's- which itself was named after the eponymous Kalwar caste, which the founder of Kapurthala's royal dynasty Jassa Singh Alhluwalia had originally belonged to?

I initially laughed at the thought of calling a brewery stabbmonk but when I read the explanation about the name it made sense. You are aiming the brand at a local market and it’s local history which locals can relate to.
I n the city I’m from there is a brewery called “dopey dick” terrible name for a brewery but it’s named after a local celebrity as in a whale that swam up the river that runs through the city and stayed around for ages. The entire city knows the story of the whale and the brewery revived the story. Tourists love the link to the beer. It’s terrible beer but that’s not the whales fault.
local beer with a local connection
You’ve a hell of a lot of work to do before you get to production but go for it and good luck.

I initially laughed at the thought of calling a brewery stabbmonk but when I read the explanation about the name it made sense. You are aiming the brand at a local market and it’s local history which locals can relate to.
I n the city I’m from there is a brewery called “dopey dick” terrible name for a brewery but it’s named after a local celebrity as in a whale that swam up the river that runs through the city and stayed around for ages. The entire city knows the story of the whale and the brewery revived the story. Tourists love the link to the beer. It’s terrible beer but that’s not the whales fault.
local beer with a local connection
You’ve a hell of a lot of work to do before you get to production but go for it and good luck.
That whale ain't the only dope in this city hahaha

I dont like any of the names to be honest, but thats my personal opinion. When i set up our small brewery of 2bbl we did research with local people, landlords, and sitting down in a proper pub with punters who are going to be your critics. When you think i can make money from brewing, well its not easy on a small brew kit i can tell you, no matter how good your beer is, margins are tight,especially on cask ale,but i do this out of a passion, and its not my sole income.It is not an industry you can just think its a safe way to cash in, its not. As for a name, we went with local history of the area we live, as my beers where to be sold locally, or withing 10 miles,i soon started to get to a stage where i could not produce enough to cover the customers i have, and with costs increasing, i invested in bigger kit,4bbl to balance costs your going to be brewing alot small scale ,and if you rent space, well your costs are even higher. I would not dismiss anyone having a go, but your going to be having to work your knackers off if you think you can make a good living. Look at the costs in the last 12 months malt 20% increases from most maltsters, chemicals 9% transport and delivery costs 5% electric to brew alone is eye watering to what it was 12 months ago, just look at your domestic bills.Its tough brewing on minimum wage.

I always avoid places that use a play on pop-culture names. Something flimsy about it.
There's a carwash around here that uses "Baywash" for a coin-operated car wash that is playing upon "Baywatch." Just can't do it.

Back