Name your favourite shop bought beers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beers you have tried and would buy again.

• Old Peculier

• Black Wych

• Black Sheep Milk Stout

• Punk IPA

• Adnams Broadside

• Mcewans Champion

• St Austell Proper Job

• Hobgoblin

• Hobgoblin Gold

• Abbot Ale

• Abbot Reserve

• Old Tom

• Tripel Karmeliet

• Black Sheep

• Ghost Ship.

• Badgers Blandford Flyer

• Anchor Steam Beer.

• Northern Monk

• Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

• Timothy Taylor Landlord

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The snug thread gave me the idea to post this.

Name your top 3 shop bought beers (more if you wish)

My favourites at the moment are below, there are hundreds i have yet to try so this may change over time.

Beers you have tried and would buy again multi choice poll added 15/9, due to poll answer limits i could only add the more readily available beers from the thread to the list.

1599841006521.png
1599841172194.png
1599841271242.png

Last edited:
I have been trying a fair few Tesco and Sainsburys beers over Lockdown. Larger online click and collect orders changing buying habits - and brewing myself make me curious about styles I'd ignored for a while. Some v good. Lots of meh beers, though too.

Top 3 candidates? Maybe....
Dartmoor Jail Ale - have my eye on @Cheshire Cat 's clone recipe
Robinsons Old Tom
Duvel Citra
Thornbridge Jaipur

Could add lots more from locsl craft beer shop but keeping in mainstream

What a conundrum! At the moment my top 3 might be these 9 - but it would be so easy to add a few others!

I’ve missed so many off this list, including Sharps Sea Fury (drinking that tomorrow at a friends house). I shouldn’t have let myself get drawn in, I feel like a parent that has declared a favourite child😭

Not tried the milk stout yet will give it a try next week.

Bear in mind my taste buds are not what they used to be, if you like the sound of this go for it -

JonnoWillsteed from England
4.15/5 rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L- Effectively black, appears clear, pours with 7mm mid-tan fine-bubble head (10mins later it's holding well).
S- Coffee + that distinctive scent of a fireplace hearth the morning after a good log fire.
T- It has more to it than I was expecting from a beer based upon an ABV of 4.4%. The taste follows the Smell^, coffee, log ashes, some dark chocolate, then a hoppy dry note rises to prominence through that, finishing with the return of coffee and smokey ashes again. Lactose beer can come across as overtly sweet, this is very much not like that, in fact I'd suggest this is hoppier and more bitter than an average stout - and to me better for it.
F- It's deep and pungent, but the notable hopping brings balance. It certainly doens't come over as a lowly 4.4%. Blind tasted I might guess it as 5.2-5.4%.
O- I like it it's a stout with clear character; it's not a bland factory mega-brew stout. I am not/never have been a fan of Guinness etc, but if this kind of stout was sold in my younger years I wouldn't have carried the, not past, decades long prejudice against the style :) Really nice, and not what I was expecting. I'd happily buy this again.
Bought from Tesco, London W11 £1.90/500ml BB: 28/04/2021.
p.s. Only now do I notice a 'World Beer Award 2019 - UK - Winner' logo.

mm.jpg

Too many good ones....
Fyne Jarl
Orval
Tempest long white cloud.

That'll do for the pale ales at least ...

Back