Name your favourite shop bought beers.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beers you have tried and would buy again.

• Old Peculier

• Black Wych

• Black Sheep Milk Stout

• Punk IPA

• Adnams Broadside

• Mcewans Champion

• St Austell Proper Job

• Hobgoblin

• Hobgoblin Gold

• Abbot Ale

• Abbot Reserve

• Old Tom

• Tripel Karmeliet

• Black Sheep

• Ghost Ship.

• Badgers Blandford Flyer

• Anchor Steam Beer.

• Northern Monk

• Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

• Timothy Taylor Landlord

Results are only viewable after voting.
I agree with Pilgrimhudd. Used to drink a lot of Doombar and Tribute in Kent, out of the pump. Don't like them bottled and have recently found them to be not as good as a few years ago.

Had Jail Ale in Cornwall and Devon on tap. My favourite to this day. Tried it in Kent and other places north but don't think it travels well. Again, not keen on the bottled stuff.

Fullers Golden Pride is a superb drink, and at 8.5% is really a Barley Wine. I’ve come across the occasional Firkin at Beer Festivals, and what days they were! Difficult to find, Waitrose is the best bet, or you can do as I have just done and order an 8 pack from the brewery.

Hmm tough this could change.

Beavertown Gamma Ray (although hardly ever have it)
Oakam Citra IPA

For something a little different:

Crafty Old hen

Fullers Golden Pride is a superb drink, and at 8.5% is really a Barley Wine. I’ve come across the occasional Firkin at Beer Festivals, and what days they were! Difficult to find, Waitrose is the best bet, or you can do as I have just done and order an 8 pack from the brewery.
IMG_1280.JPG

This is the best three quid’s worth of commercial beer I’ve ever drunk. The word ‘Golden’ is confusing, as it refers to its quality rather than colour. The label states it is brewed from pale and crystal malts, and uses Northdown, Challenger, Goldings and Target hops.

Pure nectar, and I can vouch for its potency as after I’d finished it I mistakenly held the empty glass under the sink tap with my right hand, whilst turning the sprinkler on full bore with my left!

This isn't a poll option but its definitely worth a mention.

I started with one of these last night (never had it before) and will be doing the same again tonight it may just have edged Old Peculier into second place in my list. thumb.

1602941056648.png

A few recent favourites, first couple from summer trip to the west country ;

Jail ale from Dartmoor brewery
View attachment 33857

300 laps of your garden by Verdant brewery
View attachment 33858

Hobgoblin IPA from Wychwood brewery ( not far from me )
View attachment 33859

1698 strong Ale,bottled conditioned from Shepard Neame ( also like their IPA )
View attachment 33860
If you like Jail Ale, then if you get chance to try, have a look out for either Otter Ale, or Otter Head, lovely beers from same part of the country.
Cheers Jon

Luckily managed to get this locally, absolute cracking beer. The owner, Claire Monk was a chemist graduate at Sheffield uni who got a temp job at Abbeydale brewery in the city.
She got hooked on brewing and then set up Welbeck Abbey.
Screenshot_20201027-084741.png

Latest posts

Back