NASA Discovers Water on Sunlit Surface of Moon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Having dropped tantalising hints days ago about an "exciting new discovery about the Moon", the US space agency has revealed conclusive evidence of water on our only natural satellite.

This "unambiguous detection of molecular water" will boost Nasa's hopes of establishing a lunar base.

The aim is to sustain that base by tapping into the Moon's natural resources.

The findings have been published as two papers in the journal Nature Astronomy.

Unlike previous detections of water in permanently shadowed parts of lunar craters, scientists have now detected the molecule in sunlit regions of the Moon's surface.

Speaking during a virtual teleconference, co-author Casey Honniball, postdoctoral fellow at Nasa's Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland, said: "The amount of water is roughly equivalent to a 12-ounce bottle of water in a cubic metre of lunar soil."

Her Nasa colleague Jacob Bleacher, from the agency's human exploration directorate, said researchers still needed to understand the nature of the watery deposits. This would help them determine how accessible they would be for future lunar explorers to use.

And while there have previously been signs of water on the lunar surface, these new discoveries suggest it is more abundant than previously thought. "It gives us more options for potential water sources on the Moon," said Hannah Sargeant, a planetary scientist from the Open University in Milton Keynes, told BBC News.

Full article - Water on the Moon could sustain a lunar base

Last edited:
I think it's a good discovery

This week visible in the sky at night mars East and South Jupiter and Saturn.

Got the telescope out to have a look with the kids.

Pluto Neptune and Uranus also in the night sky but cannot see them. Uranus possible but not with the light pollution I have at least.

Best Visual Observing Telescope

SkyWatcher 150P Dobsonian

Okay, so this telescope is £15 over the £200 budget, but for the extra few pounds you get a 6 inch scope. If getting the best image at the eyepiece is most important to you then aperture counts and six inches for this price by a high quality make like SkyWatcher is a very nice telescope. It is cumbersome though and you will need to locate and track your own space objects.

Most astronomers will agree that generally good advice for a beginner scope is to get the largest aperture you can afford on a dobsonian mount. This scope delivers on this in this price range.

Here is a video on Youtube of this telescope so you can see the size and functioning of this telescope.

https://www.learnastronomyhq.com/telescopes/best-telescopes-for-under-200-pounds.html

I got a 'spotting' scope for my birthday on Sunday, it's great for spying on the neighbours but i've also got some lovely shots of the moon (with the phone adaptor thingy).

Back