National insurance.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the option to work and pay NI involuntarily removed from me a while ago (no, I'm not a pensioner). So my point of view .... What a bunch of whingy whiners we've got here. NI increases ... bring it on! Someone's got to pay for people like me as they get even older! (Or, now even).

🤪

[EDIT: Argg. Who posted that stuff by Andy Burnham? S'cuse me, I have to leave to go and be sick.]

Last edited:
I had the option to work and pay NI involuntarily removed from me a while ago (no, I'm not a pensioner). So my point of view .... What a bunch of whingy whiners we've got here. NI increases ... bring it on! Someone's got to pay for people like me as they get even older! (Or, now even).

🤪

[EDIT: Argg. Who posted that stuff by Andy Burnham? S'cuse me, I have to leave to go and be sick.]

It's all a question of perspective.

I'm ex forces and we were opted out of SERPS meaning 35 years of NIC payments weren't enough for a full state pension. (This had slipped the net for years and ex forces were getting full state pensions however most had probably worked after demob and made up the rest anyway...)

The whinges from still serving personnel were that they had to pay more to get less. I pointed out that for years they had been paying less to get more and now that had been corrected but it all fell on deaf ears.

I'm not complaining about paying more for better care and even to fix the NHS backlog - in fact I do not pay NI but do pay income tax so if they put it on that it would cost me which is fine.
What I don't like is the way they are trying to dress it up as fixing the care system when it doesn't. And then rushing it through and calling anyone who challenges it as wanting to hurt health and care.
To solve the backlog do a temp income tax increase and say that. Or a wealth tax as Andy Burnham sets out.
To fix the care system put more money in - probably more tax but in reality it's not a temp one. If we want better care service we have to pay. This is what they have sort of done but without actually putting the money in!
The bit about caps and people leaving money for their heirs that's a inheritance tax issue solve it there.

Oh and just to round off the rant is it right to just stop the triple lock because it is inconveniently too high this year.

Perhaps Johnson could use the money mentioned on his brexit campaign bus.

Or sort out all the rich people and companies who manage to legally or otherwise avoid paying tax.

An Ankoù, especially in light of the current UK political situation I am extremely jealous of you living in France. My wife and I would love to make the move but it's looking so much harder post-Brexit.
We were certainly lucky in having decided to relocate when we did. I think if commitments had meant that we'd got stuck in England, we'd be thinking seriously about moving to Scotland. they seem a bit saner up there.
Of course, from a distance, all you see and read is the bad news because bad news sells papers and good news doesn't. Even so, I have my doubts.

We were certainly lucky in having decided to relocate when we did. I think if commitments had meant that we'd got stuck in England, we'd be thinking seriously about moving to Scotland. they seem a bit saner up there.
Of course, from a distance, all you see and read is the bad news because bad news sells papers and good news doesn't. Even so, I have my doubts.

Interestingly, for us, it's France if we could make it work, Scotland if not! I speak French but wife doesn't so it would be isolating for her, notwithstanding the tax, healthcare and pension issues. I don't want to derail a thread but it would be great to hear about your experiences/challenges/solutions sometime, if you don't mind of course!

Interestingly, for us, it's France if we could make it work, Scotland if not! I speak French but wife doesn't so it would be isolating for her, notwithstanding the tax, healthcare and pension issues. I don't want to derail a thread but it would be great to hear about your experiences/challenges/solutions sometime, if you don't mind of course!
Be happy to. I'll PM you when I've got time to sit down and think about it. If I forget, then PM me a gentle prod. My first thought, while I was weighing out the grain for today's brew, is that many think that If you weren't resident before Jan 1st, then that's it. Not so. That's it under the Withdrawal Agreement, but anyone, from anywhere, can apply to emigrate to most European countries. WIll catch you later.

Be happy to. I'll PM you when I've got time to sit down and think about it. If I forget, then PM me a gentle prod. My first thought, while I was weighing out the grain for today's brew, is that many think that If you weren't resident before Jan 1st, then that's it. Not so. That's it under the Withdrawal Agreement, but anyone, from anywhere, can apply to emigrate to most European countries. WIll catch you later.

Thank you so much! That would be amazing - we've done a fair bit of research but it feels at the moment like trying to untangle a knot where you can't even find the ends.

Thank you so much! That would be amazing - we've done a fair bit of research but it feels at the moment like trying to untangle a knot where you can't even find the ends.

Both, I’d also be really interested in any info about emigrating to France. Lots of long-term thoughts about it. Same position here, went to school in FR and speak fluently but partner doesn’t. If there’s anything you wouldn’t mind PMing me with as well, I’d appreciate. Thanks.

Both, I’d also be really interested in any info about emigrating to France. Lots of long-term thoughts about it. Same position here, went to school in FR and speak fluently but partner doesn’t. If there’s anything you wouldn’t mind PMing me with as well, I’d appreciate. Thanks.
I've sent PMs to both of you and made it a three-way conversation. PM me back if you haven't received mine as I'm not 100% sure on PMing.

Strangely enough I had a conversation with HM regards my pension and NI contributions yesterday. I am getting close to pension age in a couple or three years so rang up to ask the question of do I need to carry on paying NI as I have already accrued a full pension so asked if there was a reduced NI contribution as I was still paying to my pension within the NI but could reap no benefit from it as I had maxed out on my pension so where was the portion of my NI/pension contributions going as it was not beneficial to me.
I could not get a answer to where it was going or get a reduction in the NI contribution so I am stuck paying it till the end

I've sent PMs to both of you and made it a three-way conversation. PM me back if you haven't received mine as I'm not 100% sure on PMing.

PMs received with huge thanks. Just about to disappear for the weekend (family visit) but tons to unpack and chat about. See you both in the PMs. Reiterating my thanks, really appreciated.

Strangely enough I had a conversation with HM regards my pension and NI contributions yesterday. I am getting close to pension age in a couple or three years so rang up to ask the question of do I need to carry on paying NI as I have already accrued a full pension so asked if there was a reduced NI contribution as I was still paying to my pension within the NI but could reap no benefit from it as I had maxed out on my pension so where was the portion of my NI/pension contributions going as it was not beneficial to me.
I could not get a answer to where it was going or get a reduction in the NI contribution so I am stuck paying it till the end
I'm in this situation but am about to retire within a year, I believe ni covers other things than pension though. ssp and things like that.

That's exactly what they said to me but could not explain where the pension portion was going as that is already factored into the NI so either way we are subsidising something with our non pension payments(tongue in cheek)

Latest posts

Back