NE IPA – Jon Finch Recipe...with a bit of Brians touch!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been using Malt miller since 2013, but never ventured on one of them kits.
Untill now.
As most know I don't follow exact to the recipe.....
Especially the dry hopping, to me 4 days or 5 at the latest is where I'm comfortable at.
Anyways, getting the kit in the hours, so be nice to follow the whole sherbang start to finish with pics n stuff.
Might to fanny on with the recipe for 24l batch....as the keezers setup is up at Scotland.

Description

upload_2019-1-10_12-8-15.png

This recipe is based on the recipe from Beer Craft by Jon Finch. Due to the rarity of being able to buy Galaxy this hop has been replaced with Cashmere.
A hazy juicy IPA, with late hop additions

Ingredients

Crisp Pale Ale Malt (5000 grams)
Crisp Crystal Malt (300 grams)
Crisp Pale Wheat Malt (300 grams)
Flaked Oats Including Husk (300 grams)
Citra Pellets (110 grams)
Cashmere Pellets (100 grams)
Mosaic Pellets (80 grams)
NBS Ale Yeast 12g (1 packs)

Method

Beer Style (main): American Ales
Beer Style (sub): Juicy or Hazy India Pale Ale
Batch Size: 19ltr
Original Gravity: 1.072
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV %: 7.4%
IBU: 30

THE MASH
Temperature °C: 65
Length (mins): 60
Out temp °C: 75
Out time (mins): 10

THE BOIL
Boil time (mins): 60

Additions and timing:

30g Citra – Boil 10 min
30g Cashmere – Boil 10 min
40g Citra – Flame Out
40g Cashmere – Flame Out
40g Mosaic – Flame Out

Secondary additions and timing:

40g Citra – Dry hop for 7 days
30g Cashmere – Dry hop for 7 days
40g Mosaic – Dry hop for 7 days
( 4-5 days at the most!)

Yeast: NBS Ale Yeast
Fermentation temperature/steps: 20c

Comments:

Some attention to water treatment and avoiding oxygenation is advised when brewing a NE IPA.

As i'm bit fragged with a cold just now and waiting on hop socks coming, I'll tackle the brew day in the next few days.
Thank you for tuning in....
Bri

BOOOSHHH! ARRIVED.
Lwa2uDs.jpg

PC41pOH.jpg

chuffed I had citra in the freezer..
DCBNMkH.jpg

IyxzxM4.jpg

knhKpkd.jpg

zBBwjhJ.jpg

hmmmmmmmmm! couldn't get the % of the hops.
wOveIVA.jpg

and the yeast was fague….(as far as using Beer Smith that is)
fUOBRhY.jpg

vbAVEKc.jpg

Apart from the missing Citra and the Vague of the yeast, I'm looking fwd to brew tomorrow.
Ok people could say that AG kits is advanced, if you know what I mean....somekits recipes are **** foe the novice.
Off I go....a Lemsip cold n flu sache doon my neck lol.
Wont get me away of a brewday, I tell you!
Bri

yes I find it unbelievable that they sent it out without Citra would have been better to text or inform it was out of stock. Or even better as soon as the order was taken ask whether you wanted a refund or to wait for it to come back in stock with a approx date. They know most brewers work have specific days they can brew because of work commitments and I would have been very very disappointed. Too many companies taking your money without informing the paying customer it is out of stock and giving a option now thats good customer service

I ordered the same kit and they did get in touch with me beforehand and asked if I wanted to hold the entire order whilst they got the Citra which should have been with them today.

I said just send the lot and I will take the Citra when it arrives... I'm not in a rush for them yet.

Not sure if Manxnorton had the same communication.

hi guys,
TBH, that's not like MM....ive only one mucked up order..but quick to rectify it.
onto them like a tramp on chips!
Luckily I have citra in the freezer or mt brew day would be ****.
At least didn't have to go to my nearest H'brew shop n hope they got citra...or think on my toes for a another replacement.
Maybe in the future i'm going to venture away from MM, see whats oot there as far as good service and cost.
Lacksy daisy attitude TBH! as people say one thing missing and the brew could of went pair shaped....didn't they think I was ordering a KIT!! haha!

oh well...
30 min rest of the grain bed, don't know makes any diffence, as I take my time on the processes.
we'll or I should see.
Bri
TBC

Attachments

• 39963731_10217348076044621_1454622315538022400_n.jpg
    39963731_10217348076044621_1454622315538022400_n.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 97
I use Malt Miller kits all the time and find them really good, you do have to watch the yeast though; they state on their site yeast not included but they have sent yeast every time but once

well...what arrive this morn.
dc1RKh9.jpg

call me daft! but couldt they just contact me and tell the package will be delivered today! saves me fanny on with the brew kit etc.
Anyway I used mt (11.4%) citra, n the ones sent are 13.1%....no big shakes but you know what I mean lol.
Gents n ladies...don't ask me how 25l cube got up top....with a gammy leg, arm and a fragged brain, all I say it magic Hahaha!
If theres a will and all that.
dKToZ8i.jpg

Chuffed 25l but got trub and hops losses to go next.
Not holding up much magic with the yeast, but we'll see lol.
Xq39v3w.jpg

Normaly use the SS brewbucket...but needed a better reading, and of course this has a handle lol.
SUDo1av.jpg

All in all, I Enjoyed this brew, not finished but i'm still on the fence about AG kits.
Hope you all have a belter weekend, going to try my IPA....bit green but sod it!!! lol.
Bri

Interesting write up, Bri! Great to hear that you are still brewing, after going a bit quiet for a while.

I currently have the use of only one and a bit arms, after fracturing the top of my left arm on Boxing Day.
Probably I would be better advised to forget about brewing in the GF for the recuperation period, but I am just so impatient...

Interesting write up, Bri! Great to hear that you are still brewing, after going a bit quiet for a while.

I currently have the use of only one and a bit arms, after fracturing the top of my left arm on Boxing Day.
Probably I would be better advised to forget about brewing in the GF for the recuperation period, but I am just so impatient...

I can feel your pain m8.
But if I can, one handed....you can..just put you mind into could I do it with one hand....adapt and overcome! so they say.
But honestly don't want you to make it worse.. lol.
get well my ol m8.
Bri

I can feel your pain m8.
But if I can, one handed....you can..just put you mind into could I do it with one hand....adapt and overcome! so they say.
But honestly don't want you to make it worse.. lol.
get well my ol m8.
Bri
Many Thanks, Bri, I'm sure I shall. Just need some restraint, I feel.

Finally got the dry hops in.
5 days, cold crashed and bottled the other day.
So looking fwd to tasting it.
Mind the colour need the mellow as its darker than I wanted for the profile.
Bri

Just made the same kit from a recipe pack from MM and yea it's definitely darker than I thought it would be.

Smells great though.

Latest posts

Back