Near disaster....hopefully avoided!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metman79

Reaction score
The excitement of upcoming brew day using brand spanking new Brewzilla 30L, PLUS new homemade fermentation chamber PLUS new Speidel 30L fermenter was nearly crushed by a calamitous affair yesterday. Order of grain, hops an yeast arrived all in one piece and much earlier than expected. So I hastily grabbed the box and put it on the stove top to examine the contents, like an excited boy unwrapping his swollen stocking on Christmas Day. Grain check, hops check yeast check! All good, so I sat down and got on with some work. About 10 or so minutes later I could smell something a little acrid and couldn't work it out, initially thinking someone must be having a fire outside somewhere and with the doors open it was wafting in.

After a minute or two more I went to investigate and headed into the kitchen, the smell was coming from my newly arrived package as I'd accidentally nudged the halogen hob on when I set the box down!!!:eek::eek::eek:. Turned the box over to reveal a dark brown perfectly hob sized circular burn where the box had been sat on the hob. Quickly removed the box and examined the contents fearing the worst. Wheat fine, caramalt fine, hops fine, pale alt malt.....not so fine. The heat had melted the plastic bag allowing the grain to spill loose into the box. However, the malt wasn't burned/scorched and there wasn't a smell of burning plastic...phew. I think it'll be okay, so I've saved the spilt grain. Fortunately the packet of yeast was in the far corner and wasn't affected by the heat otherwise that would have been game over!!

Talk about potential for off flavours, scorched carboard and hint of burning plastic anyone?

Well, there's no point crying over spilt malt.

Sounds as though it should be ok, but maybe keep the fire brigade on standby when you actually start the brew...

wink...

Latest posts

Back