Need a name for my new micropub/brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
I was going to suggest “East Kent Goldings” then I Googled Edenbridge and found that you’re actually in the west of Kent.

“Eden Kent Goldings” perhaps?

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting goldings into the name without the east. Will be mainly real ales but if theres more demand for the "hipster" stuff it could go more that way.

My immediate thought is that "Goldings" would be something that only made sense to people who knew a bit about beer or hops whereas using something more obviously tied to the geography - and Eden is a pretty useful name for other reasons too - might have a wider appeal.

Not saying you need to follow trend here, but most new micro's have short, 2 word max names (excluding the The). A lot are also incorporating an animal I see as well (in Newcastle the use of both mouse, and chimp).

It's nice to link the name to an area, but it has to stand out. Think about similar establishments you have been to - other than the place itself, what makes you remember the name or want to go there and try it out? e.g. The Split Chimp in Newcastle was somewhere I had to try due to the name alone - it stood out. Once there the place kept me, not the name.

Not saying you need to follow trend here, but most new micro's have short, 2 word max names (excluding the The). A lot are also incorporating an animal I see as well (in Newcastle the use of both mouse, and chimp).

It's nice to link the name to an area, but it has to stand out. Think about similar establishments you have been to - other than the place itself, what makes you remember the name or want to go there and try it out? e.g. The Split Chimp in Newcastle was somewhere I had to try due to the name alone - it stood out. Once there the place kept me, not the name.

Based on this, I get "Legless Snake"

Not wanting to diss any other suggestions, but I'd be more intrigued to go there than the other suggestions. And that is honestly the truth.

The market is flooded with start ups and you need to create the intrigue. You might attract hipters, but if they like drinking and talking about beer than so be in. The founders of most craft breweries over the last 20 years were/are hipsters.

True, although there are plenty of legless snakes in Newcastle. Just need to watch Geordie Shore to see that.

Back to business though, I like that name. Alcohol reference also.

I was thinking of getting goldings into the name without the east. Will be mainly real ales but if theres more demand for the "hipster" stuff it could go more that way.

I assume you know the area, and thus know real ales are more likely to be a hit than the trendier american-style stuff.

What sort of crowd are you looking to draw? It's important when considering marketing. Hipster 20-somethings do not pick drinking establishments on the same merits that middle-aged rugby fans do. This also ought to affect your choice of decor.

Edit: That could be read as being patronising, so I want to make clear that it's not supposed to be. You'd be amazed how many people don't consider it. They choose marketing they like, without considering if they represent their customer base.

Last edited:

This must be true as, I kid you not, we have a hipster pub in Peckham called, John the Unicorn :roll:

https://johntheunicorn.com/

Latest posts

Back