Need advice with this recipe for my 2nd Homebrew - A Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry only just saw this. Personally I don't tend to go that high, usually starting around 23 to 25° is what I use.
Sorry for the long hiatus cause I've been super caught up with work & family commitments.

So, I was unable to source any Saison Yeast, so I guess I'll use my Muntons Ale Yeast. So I'm brewing an Ale now :laugh8:

How do you sanitize Orange/Lemon Zest & Coriander Seeds?

You could get a pack of Lille saison from Crossmyloof for £1.45 inc delivery if you're happy to wait a couple of days?
https://www.crossmyloofbrew.co.uk/online-store/Crossmyloof-Brew-Yeast-Beer-p93773089

The orange and coriander are usually added at the end of the boil, so no need to sanitise.
Why do they always recommend dipping the zest in Vodka then? Maybe that is for addition during Fermentation.

So I'll just rinse the oranges before zesting to remove any unwanted goop. How much zest for a 5L batch though approx? I'm assuming around 6-8 gms should be fine?

Also, I am based in India. So getting yeast here is a tad difficult asad. .. I always ask friends / family coming back from the States to bring me some yeast or other ingredients.

Yeah if you want to add after fermentation then you can sanitise in vodka. What you're making sounds a lot like a Belgian wit, which presumably is what you're going for. It's not a style I've ever made but looking at Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles he uses 0.5g/L of crushed coriander seed and 2g/L fresh orange zest both added for the last 5 mins of the boil.

Sorry I can't help with sourcing yeast in India :confused:

What you're making sounds a lot like a Belgian wit, which presumably is what you're going for
Don't know if i was going for it tbh. I'll just increase the hop count and maybe turn it into a Hoppy Wheat Ale haha.

looking at Jamil's recipe in Brewing Classic Styles he uses 0.5g/L of crushed coriander seed and 2g/L fresh orange zest both added for the last 5 mins of the boil
I'll stick to this thanks.

Sorry I can't help with sourcing yeast in India
That's alright. I have enough Ale yeast to last me a year or more Infact. Might get some saison yeast for my next brew from a brewer friend over here. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back