Need help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob4155

Reaction score
Hi all,I am new to home brewing,I bought a kit to make cider,all went well till I came to bottle it and found out I have lost my satchet of apple flavour,I do have a carton of apple juice just wanted to know if this would be OK to use and how much,the whole carton ? and if I can use the carton do I still put sugar in bottles,thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum. The sachet is usually an additional flavouring so can be left out for a plain apple cider. I wouldn't add the apple juice as that won't add to the flavour and will likely contain more sugar than you need for bottling and may then cause your bottles to explode. The sachets sometimes include an artificial sweetener so be aware that the cider will be dry without it, you could add a couple of teaspoons of artificial sweetener if you are looking for some sweetness - though the amount will depend on the size of kit. Sugar added for the bottling will then ferment to provide carbonation but won't provide sweetness.

I hope that helps.

thanks for your reply,i think i will just bottle cider without apple juice,i dont mind plain cider,will experiment with next batch,thanks again

Hi Rob

For us living in these northerly latitudes doc Anna's advice is good.
I make a lot of wine from supermarket apple juice.

But it is white wine NOT cider,In any shape or form.
I should point out its absolutely delicious either with a meal or just a drink whilst watching TV.
My friends LOVE it.!!!!!!

All made with Supermarket apple juice. 😁

Latest posts

Back