NEIPA brew/dry-hop advice

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by bmass96, Mar 13, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Mar 13, 2019 #1

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Hi folks,

I've not long just tried my 2nd batch, which was a 1 gallon all-grain NEIPA...sadly nowhere near as nice as the first batch I did (which was an extract IPA brew).

I noticed on the brew day that there was a LOT more excess sediment left over in the FV when I transferred it, I'm assuming I went wrong along the line given that it was my first all-grain...perhaps I didn't sparge quite right...I don't know. The end result was vile anyway. It also turned out tasting like a more disgusting version of my first brew, despite them being different types of IPA? Can anyone help me think of where I went wrong? I can't think for the life of me.

Also, dry-hopping! The kit said to add it 4 days *before* fermenting has finished. Does this sound normal? I read elsewhere you wanna dry hop when the fermentation is still active!? I also used pellets and dropped them straight into the FV, assuming that was correct.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers! acheers.
    Ben.

2. Mar 13, 2019 #2

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

dry hopping - adding 4 days before fermentation has finished. aunsure....
    how can you know in advance when fermentation has finished ??? - it's variable - it sounds like a typo - you would normally dry hop after fermentation has finished because fermentation drives off hop aromas.

3. Mar 14, 2019 #3

prog99

prog99

prog99

Regular.

Not on a NEIPA though, there's some interesting biochemistry going on dry hopping early.

4. Mar 14, 2019 #4

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Cheers!

5. Mar 14, 2019 #5

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

I'm happy to accept that but how can you know in advance to dry hop 4 days BEFORE fermentation has finished other than a rought guess - it could be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. For my beers 2 - 3 weeks

6. Mar 14, 2019 #6

Leon103

Leon103

Leon103

Landlord.

What kit was it? What was your process.
    You want to dry up after 2-3 days and then again post fermentation.
    What did you get with the kit?

7. Mar 14, 2019 #7

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Hi Leon,

This is the kit I used:

https://www.brewstore.co.uk/4-5l-new-england-ipa-all-grain-beer-kit#product_tabs_additional_tabbed

The the process was pretty standard (not sure how much detail I need to explain), but I'm sure where I went wrong was with the sparging. I didn't actually add the required amount of water back in while sparging - just didn't feel right. I guess with it being my first all grain recipe it just didn't feel right.

The way I actually did the dry hop was 4 days after fermentation had finished.

I don't do any sort of water treatment either, not quite at that level yet so I wonder whether that was a factor in it tasting similar to my first batch.

The kit itself literally was just the ingredients listed...

Cheers,
    Ben.

8. Mar 15, 2019 #8

Madhouse

Madhouse

Madhouse

I wouldn’t put it down to the sparge. Could be that you dry-hopped a bit early, how long did you dry hop for in the end? I’ve previously dry-hopped after a week, for a week before bottling which worked ok.

What was your timeline over all? Did you do 2 weeks fermenting, 2 carbing and 2 conditioning or something else?

9. Mar 15, 2019 #9

Brew Dad

Brew Dad

Brew Dad

I suspect they mean dry hop 4 days after fermentation starts - a lot of NEIPA brewers believe adding hops when fermentation is still active adds to haze/mouthfeel/hop character of the style.

10. Mar 15, 2019 #10

prog99

prog99

prog99

Regular.

bmass96 likes this.
  11. Mar 15, 2019 #11

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

It was 10 days fermenting, then 4 days and a dry hop, then after another 2 weeks I tried it. I used pellets and put them directly into the FV.

To be fair I'm still quite new to this scene so yeah, I followed the instructions as much as I could aunsure....

12. Mar 15, 2019 #12

bmass96

bmass96

bmass96

Ah right...in which case I didn't quite do it right! I'll have to revisit the notes. Cheers!

13. Mar 15, 2019 #13

Brew Dad

Brew Dad

Brew Dad

Your instinct to follow the instructions is the right one. While they might require a bit of deciphering, it is still the best way to proceed.

One note - if I understand correctly, this brew was in your fermenter for 4 weeks. For most beer styles, that would not be a problem at all. But NEIPA is a bit of an exception, and is best drunk very fresh, as it is prone to oxidation/staling. It could be that it tasted lousy because it was oxidized.

bmass96 likes this.