NEIPA First Attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghillie

Landlord.
Reaction score
Gents,

Planning on brewing a NEIPA next week and have thrown together a recipe which I wouldn't mind feedback on from those "in the know". Been putting a NEIPA off for ages but finally getting round to it. Might make a brew-day thread as well, we shall see.

NEIPA Citra/Mosaic/Amarillo
Specialty IPA (21 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Boil Size: 28.01 L
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 24.01 L
Final Bottling Vol: 21.49 L
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Date: 08 Apr 2020
Brewer: Ghillie
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: ROBOBREW - NEW - GASH
Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.1 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients
Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
Volume
36.73 L​
Forres Water​
Water​
1​
-​
-​
8.00 ml​
Lactic Acid (Mash)​
Water Agent​
2​
-​
-​
2.98 g​
Calcium Chloride (Mash)​
Water Agent​
3​
-​
-​
1.85 g​
Salt (Mash)​
Water Agent​
4​
-​
-​
1.38 g​
Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash)​
Water Agent​
5​
-​
-​
4.00 kg​
Lager Malt (3.9 EBC)​
Grain​
6​
67.8 %​
2.61 L​
1.50 kg​
White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC)​
Grain​
7​
25.4 %​
0.98 L​
0.40 kg​
Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)​
Grain​
8​
6.8 %​
0.26 L​
1.70 g​
Calcium Chloride (Sparge)​
Water Agent​
9​
-​
-​
1.06 g​
Salt (Sparge)​
Water Agent​
10​
-​
-​
0.79 g​
Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Sparge)​
Water Agent​
11​
-​
-​
35.00 g​
Amarillo [9.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min​
Hop​
12​
36.5 IBUs​
-​
0.50 Items​
Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)​
Fining​
13​
-​
-​
50.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 80.0 C​
Hop​
14​
6.8 IBUs​
-​
50.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 80.0 C​
Hop​
15​
7.0 IBUs​
-​
1.0 pkg​
SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml]​
Yeast​
16​
-​
-​
50.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days​
Hop​
17​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
50.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days​
Hop​
18​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
50.00 g​
Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
19​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
50.00 g​
Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.25 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days​
Hop​
20​
0.0 IBUs​
-​
Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color
Est Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.5 %
Bitterness: 50.2 IBUs
Est Color: 7.6 EBC
Measured Original Gravity: 1.057 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Calories: 533.3 kcal/l
Mash Profile
Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body - ROBOBREW - GASH
Sparge Water: 13.93 L
Sparge Temperature: 76.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE
Est Mash PH: 5.67
Measured Mash PH: 5.20
Total Grain Weight: 5.90 kg
Grain Temperature: 10.0 C
Tun Temperature: 71.0 C
Target Mash PH: 5.25
Mash Acid Addition: None
Sparge Acid Addition: None
Mash Steps
Name
Description
Step Temperature
Step Time
10 minutes rest/stir​
Add 20.00 L of water at 74.4 C​
68.0 C​
10 min​
Mash with recirc​
Heat to 68.0 C over 0 min​
68.0 C​
75 min​
Mash out​
Add 0.00 L of water at 76.0 C​
76.0 C​
10 min​
Sparge: Fly sparge with 13.93 L water at 76.0 C
Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a medium body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage
Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 16.06 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 7.2 C
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage
Fermenter:
Volumes of CO2: 2.6
Carbonation Est: Keg with 16.06 PSI
Carbonation (from Meas Vol): Keg with 16.06 PSI
Age for: 0.00 days
Storage Temperature: 2.0 C
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 16.24.20.png

Attachments

• NEIPA.jpg
    NEIPA.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 119
  • NEIPA 2.jpg
    NEIPA 2.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 104
Looks nice athumb..
I'd be tempted to have a smaller BioT addition and a heavier 2nd DH addition to max out hop aroma.
I don't think you need the Epsom, and would keep the sulphate lower.
Finally I think it may come out quite bitter and I would move some of the FWH to a 5min addiion , but I know many like to avoid hops in the boil all together in their neipas.
acheers.

Looks nice athumb..
I'd be tempted to have a smaller BioT addition and a heavier 2nd DH addition to max out hop aroma.
I don't think you need the Epsom, and would keep the sulphate lower.
Finally I think it may come out quite bitter and I would move some of the FWH to a 5min addiion , but I know many like to avoid hops in the boil all together in their neipas.
acheers.
Will amend accordingly @dan125, thanks.

Like most of my beers 30-40IBU, so will drop down to that range.

Will have a play around with the hop timings to get things into the correct IBU range (for my tastes anyway).

Regarding the water profile, I took the advice off the first brewer from this BYO article, what's your thoughts? Chlorides are higher and the ratio is ~1:2, at the lower end of the scale too for a NEIPA?

https://byo.com/article/neipa-tips-from-the-pros/
Thanks again.

Last edited:
What dan said but I would add that you don't need the 60 min addition. You will get enough bitterness from the whirlpool. Also keep an eye on fermentation, on high krausen Chuck in the first hops. I have found this is done on day 2 most of the time.

Sorry @Ghillie just realised I didn't answer your question about the water profile.
I'm sure the 0.5 s/c ratio will be fine. I've tinkered quite alot with water in neipas. I have found that sulphate can distract from the soft mouthfeel and I think I get closer to my favourite commercial examples when I go with a softer overall profile, keeping the sulphate really low, and the profile below is something like I use now.
acheers.
Screenshot_20200414-190045.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry @Ghillie just realised I didn't answer your question about the water profile.
I'm sure the 0.5 s/c ratio will be fine. I've tinkered quite alot with water in neipas. I have found that sulphate can distract from the soft mouthfeel and I think I get closer to my favourite commercial examples when I go with a softer overall profile, keeping the sulphate really low, and the profile below is something like I use now.
acheers.
View attachment 24482
Thanks for getting back Dan, really appreciate it.

Going off your profile there, I may well just go with the slightest of treatments for my already soft water in that case. Sulphates ~50ppm, can easy up my Cl to ~100pm for the 1:2 ratio.

Cheers pal. NEIPA brew Sat if hops arrive on time 🙃

Base water profile for reference. Take it easy bud

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 23.55.06.png

Thanks for getting back Dan, really appreciate it.

Going off your profile there, I may well just go with the slightest of treatments for my already soft water in that case. Sulphates ~50ppm, can easy up my Cl to ~100pm for the 1:2 ratio.

Cheers pal. NEIPA brew Sat if hops arrive on time 🙃

Base water profile for reference. Take it easy bud

View attachment 24491

Wish I had your water athumb.. I think all you need to add is enough CaCl to get your calcium level up and the s/c ratio you want.
Was hoping to brew a neipa myself at the weekend but the FV won't be empty in time :(

According to scottish water you've harder water than me in Forres! I don't bother doing any water treatment out of laziness.
Like others have said, no hops in the boil and I'd do the 1st dry hop much earlier (although this is open to opinion if you read the 200+ page thread on the other channel)

According to scottish water you've harder water than me in Forres! I don't bother doing any water treatment out of laziness.
Like others have said, no hops in the boil and I'd do the 1st dry hop much earlier (although this is open to opinion if you read the 200+ page thread on the other channel)
Aye "moderately soft" is what Scottish water deem it - but it appears pretty soft off the private report. Below is the Scottish water report, and the Beersmith image I posted to Dan earlier was the private report I had done; the hardness is hugely different!

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 09.51.57.png

Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 09.46.19.png

What area is your water buddy?

If you look up glencorse reservoir it’s one of those. Can’t remember off the top of my head which one but they are all much the same.

Wish I had your water athumb.. I think all you need to add is enough CaCl to get your calcium level up and the s/c ratio you want.
Was hoping to brew a neipa myself at the weekend but the FV won't be empty in time :(
Thanks Dan!

Feel your pain about the FV's... Both mine are full and I'm doing a bit of a dirty/lazy cold crash to free them up quicker than normal. "It'll clear in the keg" is what I'm telling myself. One is a Wee Heavy anyway, so it'll be clearing in the keg for months. Hopefully...

If you look up glencorse reservoir it’s one of those. Can’t remember off the top of my head which one but they are all much the same.
Screenshot 2020-04-15 at 09.58.05.png

Either or, you're laughing! The best thing about soft water is the fact that it's a blank canvas; perfect to build into whatever you like.

Scottish water AKA rain. We gurn about it, but it is beautiful when you think about it...

What dan said but I would add that you don't need the 60 min addition. You will get enough bitterness from the whirlpool.

That assumes that all the 60min addition contributes is bittering. But as long as you don't use extract, it's also adding reducing power that will help counter oxidation. It's not a cure-all, but every little helps - say <1g/l of a <10%aa hop. It's interesting, many of the best NEIPAs tend to have a bit of bittering addition, whereas a lot of the not-quite-so-good ones don't.

See here for a recipe that's gone through some cycles of refinement. There also seems to be a trend towards shorter, cooler dry hopping, often after a crash to <15C to drop out a lot of the yeast.

Latest posts

Back