NEIPA grain bill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just a QQ for anyone on here. I'm planning to brew my second NEIPA this weekend. First one I did was a bit of a bust - it had tonnes of amarillo, galaxy, mosaic and citra but the hop flavour didn't last long and I put a touch of melanoidin on the grain bill which didn't play well. So, second attempt, going a bit more of a session neipa and also trying to use up what I have left in stock:

pilsner malt 2.8kg 70%
oats 300g 7.5%
wheat 300g 7.5%
flaked barley 300g 7.5%
carapils 300g 7.5.%

Im not adding any bittering hops and then doing 25g each of Pekko and Sabro at 5 mins, then 25g each in the whirlpool, and then 2 dry hops of 25g each. So 100g each of pekko and sabro. Using the Lallemand New England yeast.

My question is - am I alright with a relatively low % of oats if I have a bit more wheat and flaked barley? I don't have more oats or wheat so would have to buy more of either if needed. I could increase the amount of flaked barley. I would normally have 200g of carapils so could make it 200g carapils and 2.9kg pilsner but I don' think it makes a difference?

Any advice welcome...

Cheers!

It really depends what you're going for.

What you have there will help with the haze but won't really have a huge amount of body or sweetness. If you are using unmalted wheat you can drop the caramalt as you'll get plenty of head retention from it. If malted wheat leave it in. I would sack off the flaked barley. If you need oats, you can use cheap rolled porridge oats from any supermarket to save you delivery on home brew oats.

I no longer add any hops to the boil with the flame on. I want to add as little bitterness as possible. I usually add some at flameout, drop the temp to 75-80C, then add a 'whirlpool' edition and stand for 30 mins, then dry hop for 3 days at the end of fermentation.

I brewed one recently and it worked out great, as I was really going for that soft, pillowy mouthfeel:
4.7Kg pale ale
2kg flaked oats
1kg flaked (unmalted) wheat
1kg flaked (unmalted) spelt

Just my 2 cents, obviously take what you will from that.

Thanks, yeah I just use porridge oats too so the hassle is really only making a trip to Lidl....
So with the hops you would switch the 5min addition to "switch-off" and then add the rest around 75 degrees and do a hopstand? sounds like a good plan.

Aye. That's what I'd do. Flameout, then hop stand at 75-80.

IBU calculators are bull****. You'll extract bitterness any time the hops are in the wort above about 86C. I'd like to hear how you get on this time!

What batch size was the op recipe for?

I would go 80% golden promise, 10% each of flaked wheat and naked oats.

Make sure you hop choice and hop rate is looked at correctly. Never heard of pekko. For a dry hop rate of around 14g/l plus.

What batch size was the op recipe for?

I would go 80% golden promise, 10% each of flaked wheat and naked oats.

Make sure you hop choice and hop rate is looked at correctly. Never heard of pekko. For a dry hop rate of around 14g/l plus.
Apart from the saturation point of dry hopping is 8g/L.

I'm not really concerned about the hops, I've been wanting to brew a Sabro beer for a while and actually theyve been in my freezer for a long time, as have the Pekko. I'm hoping the Sabro flavour dominates.

I will dry hop a total of 100g over two charges into 15 litres. I've never calculated hops/litres before but if its 100g/15l isn't that about 6g/l?

I'm not really concerned about the hops, I've been wanting to brew a Sabro beer for a while and actually theyve been in my freezer for a long time, as have the Pekko. I'm hoping the Sabro flavour dominates.

I will dry hop a total of 100g over two charges into 15 litres. I've never calculated hops/litres before but if its 100g/15l isn't that about 6g/l?

Sorry I thought it was 100g of each. Try 300g dry hop. 30g total for the 1st dry hop and 270g for the last. Get rid of the 5 minute addition and put those in the whirlpool. Don't worry about the ******** 8g/l saturation. Have you used pekko before?

Boil and whirlpool hops here are not the issue. 8g/L saturation is purely for dry hopping.
OK, and at 6.67g/l dry hop I'm under that according to my calculation?
Even my monster first NEIPA was at 10g/l so not much above and thats the most I've ever dry hopped. I tend to be between 2-4g/l for my regular brews. Good to know though for future reference.

OK, and at 6.67g/l dry hop I'm under that according to my calculation?
Even my monster first NEIPA was at 10g/l so not much above and thats the most I've ever dry hopped. I tend to be between 2-4g/l for my regular brews. Good to know though for future reference.
Yep. There's nothing bad going to happen to the beer from exceeding that amount, but you're effectively wasting your money at that point.

Sorry I thought it was 100g of each. Try 300g dry hop. 30g total for the 1st dry hop and 270g for the last. Get rid of the 5 minute addition and put those in the whirlpool. Don't worry about the ******** 8g/l saturation. Have you used pekko before?
I don't have that many hops available! apart from the 100g each of these I have 100g each of Enigma and Columbus in the freezer and some odd scraps of sladek, saaz and wai-iti. I can order some more but I haven't used that many hops in a brew before. I have never used Pekko or Sabro before either so this is a new brew for me in terms of hops! Interested to see how it goes!

Wow.

I don't have that many hops available! apart from the 100g each of these I have 100g each of Enigma and Columbus in the freezer and some odd scraps of sladek, saaz and wai-iti. I can order some more but I haven't used that many hops in a brew before. I have never used Pekko or Sabro before either so this is a new brew for me in terms of hops! Interested to see how it goes!
Stick with them to see how they go together. I would aim to dry hop at around 15c.
What yeast you going with?

Latest posts

Back